Women's track looks to continue its winning ways

By Spencer Oakes
On January 31, 2013

After placing first as a team in the first two indoor meets of the 2013 season, the UConn Women's track and field team is ready to take their talents to New York City for the Armory Collegiate Invitational. The Armory Collegiate, held annually for the last 12 years, is the biggest indoor meet in the country. Over 100 universities from all over the nation will be competing in this weekend's event, which begins Friday and finishes on Saturday. With such a large number of schools competing, the Armory serves as a great test for the team as they approach the Big East Conference Championships.
The team received big news this week when the rankings were released and they found themselves in the top 25, specifically ranked at No. 25. According to associate head coach Clive Terrelonge, the meet will serve as a great test to see just how accurate these rankings are.
"You have fifteen or sixteen of the top twenty-five teams competing at the meet, including the top three teams in the nation," Terrelonge stated. "So it will definitely give the team a boost of confidence if we do well and also just to see where we stand."
When asked what his expectations for the team are, Terrelonge exclaimed that they are exactly where they always stand.
"My expectations for the team are great, we try to go out there and beat the best and we think we are very capable of doing just that. We have some of the best athletes in the country based on the rankings."
One of the best athletes, not only on the team but in the country is senior thrower Victoria Flowers. Flowers, who was just named Big East Field Athlete of the Week for the third consecutive week, is ranked fourth in the nation in the weight throw and sixteenth in the shot put. Flowers, a redshirt a year ago, claims that the redshirt year gave her more time to focus on her strength and technique, which has helped her emerge as a national contender this year.
"It gave coach and I more time to train and focus on the little things and it definitely has worked out so far," said Flowers.
Flowers says she is not surprised by her success so far, as it is something that her and her coach have talked about since her recruiting visit to UConn.
"All my freshman year we spoke about what I thought I could do and what he thought I could do and what it would take for me to get there."
One event that coach Terrlonge is particularly interested in seeing is the Distance Medley Relay or DMR. According to Terrelonge, UConn is consistently competitive in the DMR, reaching Nationals in each of the last three years.
"We are hoping to have the DMR team to qualify for Nationals this weekend. We have some kids on our team that we are excited about; that they can go to this meet and beat all of the top teams in the country."