UConn men's basketball remains unranked
After splitting its Week 11 matchups against two top-20 opponents the UConn men's basketball team received votes in both the AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches' Poll. However, UConn was left out of both polls.
Receiving 62 votes in the AP Top 25, Connecticut fell 49 votes shy of 25th ranked Oklahoma. With their 62 total votes, UConn received the second most of any teams who failed to enter the rankings. In the Coaches' Poll, UConn received 12 total votes, 76 less than Michigan and Oklahoma.
In college basketball, the methodology behind the AP and Coaches' Polls can be quite complex. This week, top-ranked Arizona received 1,621 votes in the AP Poll and 798 votes in the Coaches' Poll. The Coaches' Poll is based on input from a panel of Division I head coaches. The members of the panel represent each of the 32 conferences eligible to receive an automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament. Each coach on the panel fills out their "Top 25." A first place vote is worth 25 points and a second place vote is worth 24 points, while a 25th place vote is worth only one point.
This week, Arizona received 30 of 32 possible first place votes allowing them to remain the top ranked team in the country for the seventh week in a row. For UConn to have received 12 votes, it is likely they were placed on the outskirts of the top 25 in several coaches' rankings.
The AP Poll is decided by a point system using the same basic guidelines. Conducted by the Associated Press, more input allows for larger point totals.
Coming off of last night's contest against Temple, UConn will also square off with Rutgers this week. If they win both, UConn may once again find themselves in the top 25 rankings.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit