Annual UCon @ UConn gets into character Sat.

Free event brings together local artists and enthusiasts

By Nicholas Shigo

• A man dressed at the Green Arrow stands in front of a vendors booth at last years UCon @ UConn. This years convention takes place this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m. FILE PHOTO/The Daily Campus

The UCon @ UConn comic, anime, video game and tabletop game convention will be coming to the Student Union Feb. 22 through 23, with free admission to all visitors.
The convention opens its doors 9 a.m. on Saturday morning and continues until 1 a.m. Sunday's activities start at 10:30 a.m. and end at 5 p.m.
The convention will be held on the third floor of the Student Union, with most of the activities being hosted in the Ballroom and meeting rooms.
The event is a chance for local artists and enthusiasts to get together and share their passion for their favorite television shows and games.
"The thing I like most about the con is that no matter what your fandom, you're going to find someone with similar interests to you," said William Taylor, fourth semester computer science major, who will attend UCon for the second time this year. "I'm looking forward to seeing all of the great cosplay that everyone does and the hilarious panels that are there."
Jarrett Bassett, head planner for UCon, said that the smaller venue and lack of entry fee is a big draw for first time convention goers.
"It's smaller, so if people are hesitant to go to a bigger one, they can check this one out and see if they like it."
Large conventions, like the famous San Diego Comic-Con, one of the largest in the business, will charge $30 to $45 a day, according to their website.
This is the fourth year that the convention has been hosted at UConn, with attendance rising each year, according to Bassett.
The UCon @ UConn features panels and discussions on popular topics like the science fiction show "Doctor Who," the Star Wars franchise and how to properly cosplay at a convention.
Attendees will also have the chance to play their favorite tabletop, and trading card games at the convention including Magic: The Gathering and the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
Fans will also get the chance to compete in tournaments of video games like Super Smash Brothers a League of Legends tournament hosted by Friendly Fire Games in Storrs.
Vendors will also be in attendance, selling sketches painting, prints and crafts from across themes in pop culture, according to Bassett.
UCon also has two special guests attending, nerd culture comedian Uncle Yo and voice actor Vic Mignogna, known for his roles in English versions of the popular anime series Fullmetal Alchemist and Ouran High School Host Club, according to UCon @ UConn's website.
Uncle Yo will be hosting the costume contest and a stand-up comedy show, and Mignogna will be holding a Q&A session about his career.
"It would be great to have a full audience for them," said Bassett.
Registration and schedules for the convention are available through UCon @ UConn's website.