Rowing opens season in Fla.
The UConn women's rowing team competed in its first races of the spring season over spring break, traveling to Florida to take on the University of Miami. UConn's boats won two out of three races.
The varsity eight boat lost by 18 seconds, with a time of 7:13 to Miami's 6:54 in the 2000-meter race. The first varsity boat remained the same as at the end of last season, with seniors Diana Filipek, Kaitlyn Clarke, Andriel Doolittle, Mary Grace Haggett and Brittany DePoi, juniors Hillary Wiles-Lafayette and Adrienne Barrett, and sophomores Charlotte Kelley and Erin Mounce.
UConn's second varsity eight edged Miami by wight seconds with a time of 7:20.7. Rowing in that boat were seniors Brittanie Reinold, Jessica Chames and Amanda Sibley, juniors Melissa Soucie and Caitlin Swallow, sophomores Natalie Carlone, Ashley West and Julia Roth, and freshman Kathryn Hughes. Coach Jen Sanford-Wendry said the second varsity "is a very strong crew that has some technical issues. I am very excited about their potential once we can eliminate the rockiness in the boat and get everyone working together."
The novice eight boat, consisting of sophomores Emi Noshino and Kendra Kohanski, and freshmen Elise McCormick, Amanda Litty, Haley Ullinger, Diana Gryszkiewicz, Jessica Berner, Abbie Viner and Teresa Starzecki, also won its race with a time of 7:40 to Miami's 8:00.
Coach Sanford-Wendry said she was confident the first varsity can clock in under seven minutes in this weekend's upcoming Murphy Cup in Camden, N.J. 18 other teams will compete and she says she is going to give the boat another week with the same lineup before possibly moving rowers from the second varsity up to varsity. Both varsity boats will compete in the Cup.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit