Men's track and field: UConn competes in the Coaches Tribute Invitatioal in RI.

By Matt Kren
On January 30, 2014

After last week's dominant performance at the Boston University Terrier Classic, the UConn men's track and field team looks for a similar result this Saturday at the Coaches Tribute Invitational in Kingston, Rhode Island. Trying to follow up last week will be a tough test considering the Huskies had thirteen top ten finishes up in Boston.
In both the track and field events, UConn was out in front of their counterparts, putting up good times in every event. Competition picks up this week as well as this is a scoring event which will feature better teams including perennial New England rival, Rhode Island. Coach Roy commented the increase of competition as he called this week's invitational, "our New England Championship, as we won't be at the All New England in late February as it conflicts with the AAC Championship."
In regards to their rival Rhode Island he said, "Rhode Island is the only team to beat us in the last 15-20 years at the Indoor Championship, so they will be gunning for us at their home track. We will have to be at our best to beat them, as they seemingly get stronger each year." This week's competition will be telling for the rest of the season as the huskies need to be at their best so they will be reading for the AAC championship which is under a month away.
Captains need to lead their team on and off the field, and so far the three captains for the Huskies have done just that. Captains Darnell Cummings, Eric Masington and Cory Duggan have been dominating events and more importantly setting the tone for the whole team. One of the captains, senior Eric Masington, who competes in the shot put, said this week all he can try to do is his best.
In regards to what his expectations are he said, "Put simply, I would like to see the work that my teammates and I have been putting in to show up at the meet. The expectation is for far distances, fast times, and a win. I don't think I could ask for more than that."
As a captain, hard work and effort is all one can ask for in their teammates, as hopefully like Eric said that can produce a win this week up in Kingston.
With only four more competitions, including this one, before the AAC and IC4A championships, this is the time to really pick it up and gain momentum.