Women's hockey: UConn hosts Strides for Breast Cancer
The UConn women's ice hockey team will be back in action over the weekend, as the Huskies take on Boston University in a home-and-home series.
The Huskies will open the weekend Friday night at Freitas Ice Forum, as UConn will host the annual Skating Strides for Breast Cancer Awareness game. The conference foes will rebound quickly, as a contest in Boston will have a 3 p.m. puck drop the next afternoon.
UConn enters the weekend having split last weekend's series with Providence, as the Huskies now find themselves with a 4-8-1 record in conference.
However, UConn's leading scorer, Kayla Campero, admitted there was a tough road ahead as the Huskies still had matchups with Hockey East's elite.
"We still have to play (Boston College) and (Boston University) and they're one and two in the conference," the junior said. "So those will be hard games, but we're finally picking up momentum. I think we're ready and I think that you're going to see some good things from us."
The first test comes in the form of Boston University, as the Terriers find themselves second in the conference despite dropping four straight contests.
While BU represents a firm test, coach Chris MacKenzie is optimistic for his team's chances in conference play from here on out, as the first-year head coach believes his team has what it takes to compete night in and night out.
"We focus on the next game, the next period, the next shift and just play our best," MacKenzie said. "Whatever happens, happens. We're doing our very best. As long as we're playing our best game, we're going to be in every game from here on out."
"There's really no secret at this point," MacKenzie said. "Everyone is good in their system and everyone knows what's going on. We just have to execute and make a play when there's no room out there."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools