Huskies shutout Northeastern as Zapata goes six
The UConn baseball team defeated the Northeastern Huskies 2-0 yesterday in Brookline, Mass.
Andrew Zapata got the start for the Huskies and pitched more than six innings, while allowing no runs on six hits. Zapata also struck out three batters in his effort.
Patrick Ruotolo relieved Zapata in the sixth inning and preserved the shutout for the Huskies, mowing down the Northeastern Huskies, recording seven strikeouts and the save.
UConn was able to plate two batters in the game.
In the top of the third, Bobby Melley continued his tear with a double to the left-centerfield gap that would score sophomore Bryan Daniello.
UConn struck again in the top of the fourth when Jack Sundberg drew a two out walk and stole second base. The following batter, Aaron Hill, would score Sundberg with his next swing of the bat.
The Huskies would escape the rest of the game unscathed as they held the lead and the shutout to improve to 14-16 on the season.
Up next for the Huskies are the Brown Bears.
The Bears are having a down year so far this season as they have started the season 6-14. Brown is currently on a four game losing streak that has seen them lose back-to-back games to the Princeton Tigers and the Cornell Big Red. The Bears have also previously gone on a four game losing streak and a three game losing streak to open their season.
The Bears don't have a single batter with more than 10 at bats that is batting over .300 at the plate. The Bears are led in batting average by their junior infielder Dan Kerr.
Brown is led in wins by two of their starters, Christian Taugner and Dave St. Lawrence, who each have five wins this year. Taugner also leads the team with a 2.14 earned run average.
First pitch for the Huskies' game against the Bears is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. at J.O. Christian Field in Storrs, Conn.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest