Celebrations continue as UConn rings in second national title

By Alban Murtishi

The women's basketball team netted a momentous second championship title win for UConn; and students carried on the tradition of celebration with peers, beers and cheers.
Although last night's celebration was much more peaceful in comparison to the assault of ITE on Monday night, it was nonetheless filled with cheers and rife with scandal.
In a landslide victory versus Notre Dame, the scene of Gampel erupted into cheers that echoed Monday's, and the 2,500 students rallied with fervor through the doors of Gampel Pavillion and - for the fourth time since Saturday night - formed a celebratory crowd on Fairfield Way.
There were many distinct differences between the men and women's celebrations. While the celebration for the women's victory was smaller in scale, it proved more celebratory than violent in nature. The familiar sight of an American flag filled the sky above the students, but this particular flag had a peace sign formation in place of the standard 50 stars.
However, the night was not without its own scares. Soon after the celebrations began, Twitter began to buzz with pictures of arrests. Projectile beer cans rained down on the crowd, as well as glass bottles smashing against the windows of the classroom building.
At least one person was taken to Windham Hospital with minor injuries.
One student attempted to climb a campus map sign on Fairfield way and was quickly grabbed by one officer who attempted to pull him from the structure. It took three officers to remove the man, who resisted the officers' efforts, and police eventually put him in a headlock, which caused the student to fall off the sign on his front side.
Grim reminders still remain on Fairfield Way from the men's championship riots: a shattered ITE building window, another window covered with cardboard and one missing lamp post on the green.
While Monday's celebration saw the police marching through Fairfield Way with leashed german shepherds in tow, the police on Tuesday could be seen calm on the sidelines, with some even taking selfies with students.
Monday's violence was replaced Tuesday night by a few snarky hijinks, including students replacing the letters of Wilson Hall in South to spell "Willie Louise Nelson" Hall.
The crowd dispersed peacefully around 11:30 p.m., much earlier than Monday night's celebration, which continued through much of the night and was characterized by car flipping and small fires.
Earlier Tuesday night, thousands of students watched the game's live streaming in Gampel, including members of the freshly dubbed NCAA men's basketball championship team.