UConn plans senior send-off events

By Kathleen McWilliams

Before being thrust into the real world, the University of Connecticut gives seniors the opportunity to celebrate their successes and let go before the onset of finals and post-graduate plans.
This year, seniors are invited on a trip to Mohegan Sun on April 18th, a senior sendoff barbeque on April 21st, a secret tour of UConn on April 15th and a cap decorating event on April 28th . It is not all fun and games, though, according to Shana Clarke, the graduate assistant for Senior Transition and Engagement Programs (STEP).
"While most institutions regard the transition of students into the university as important, a surprising few pay special attention to the transitionary needs of their seniors. Senior Transition and Engagement Programs and key university offices plan programs to help students prepare for life after UConn and help them celebrate their last months as undergraduate students at the university," Clarke said.
Such services include a Senior Year Experience class that prepares soon to be graduates to manage money, instructs them on how to best buy a car, a property and insurance and find a job.
"Collectively, we aim to engage seniors during their last months as undergraduate students, encourage students to utilize the many resources available on campus to prepare them for their post-university lives and provide a forum to display Husky spirit and pride," Clarke said. "Seniors receive help preparing for their careers with workshops on creating an irresistible resume, learning how to network, learning how to dine at a professional function, meeting with employers at career fairs and more"
Navigating the real world is a large fear for graduating seniors and Clarke said that students take advantage of the services that STEP provides.
"Seniors have been very receptive to senior events. They enjoy the trips planned by SUBOG, find the CCD career prep-programing useful, gravitate towards the Alumni Association events-it's very effective," Clarke said.
The program utilizes a full spectrum of partnerships with other university institutions, including the Alumni Association, the Foundation and cultural centers, which allows for the program's success in reaching seniors and providing adequate services.
"Because all of these entities plan senior events, there is wide-spread success," Clarke said.
Seniors interested in taking advantage of these opportunities can look out for events in emails from the office and keep their eyes open for hallmark events, such as Oozeball and Countdown to Commencement.