ALL HAIL THE HUSKIES

Two days, two national championships

By Erica Brancato

The UConn men's and women's basketball teams made history this week as they both took national championship titles home to Storrs.
UConn is the only university to have had both the men and women win the championship in the same season, also accomplishing the feat in 2004.
"It means a lot," UConn Athletic Director Warde Manuel said. "It means that as representatives of the university both our teams have accomplished the highest level that you can accomplish. I think that our students are working hard to do that on campus."
In 2004, the men's team defeated Georgia Tech in San Antonio, while the women defeated Tennessee in New Orleans for their straight championship in a row. This year, UConn shocked the world again, as the two teams made history, defeating Kentucky and Notre Dame, respectively.
"It's awesome. It just say a lot about UConn basketball in general, men and women," Bria Hartley said. "Just the fact that we are able to win championships, we are able to go out there and compete really well. When we win it in the same year it just makes it that much better."
After the UConn men were doubted throughout their entire postseason run, Shabazz Napier coined the term "Hungry Huskies." The UConn women solidified this with a dominant performance over unbeaten Notre Dame.
"I think it's great," Manuel said. "It represents the way that they go after wanting to be successful. You know if that sticks that's great. It epitomizes and puts together what our teams do all the time."