ALL HAIL THE HUSKIES
Two days, two national championships
The UConn men's and women's basketball teams made history this week as they both took national championship titles home to Storrs.
UConn is the only university to have had both the men and women win the championship in the same season, also accomplishing the feat in 2004.
"It means a lot," UConn Athletic Director Warde Manuel said. "It means that as representatives of the university both our teams have accomplished the highest level that you can accomplish. I think that our students are working hard to do that on campus."
In 2004, the men's team defeated Georgia Tech in San Antonio, while the women defeated Tennessee in New Orleans for their straight championship in a row. This year, UConn shocked the world again, as the two teams made history, defeating Kentucky and Notre Dame, respectively.
"It's awesome. It just say a lot about UConn basketball in general, men and women," Bria Hartley said. "Just the fact that we are able to win championships, we are able to go out there and compete really well. When we win it in the same year it just makes it that much better."
After the UConn men were doubted throughout their entire postseason run, Shabazz Napier coined the term "Hungry Huskies." The UConn women solidified this with a dominant performance over unbeaten Notre Dame.
"I think it's great," Manuel said. "It represents the way that they go after wanting to be successful. You know if that sticks that's great. It epitomizes and puts together what our teams do all the time."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...