UConn bursts through application record
UConn head coach Jim Calhoun earned his 700th career win Wednesday night with the HuskiesÂ´ 83-64 victory over the Georgetown Hoyas. Please see Sports for more on the game and CalhounÂ´s milestone. Brett Mickelson
This year, UConn admissions is vetting approximately 30,000 freshman applications to the school, beating last year's record-holding number of 28,100, according to a press release from the university.
A decade ago, the university received less than half the amount of applications submitted for fall 2012 and in the past two years, the number of applications has increased 36 percent, according to the release from UConn spokesperson Michael Kirk.
"I'm proud of the recognition that 30,000 applicants indicate UConn is a highly sought-after university," said 6th-semester psychology major Kayleigh Kangas. "I hope employers realize that UConn degrees come from a very competitive school."
Director of Admissions Nathan Fuerst attributed the increase in application volume, up more than 15,000 from 2001, to the university's "excellent academic reputation" coupled with the public school's "competitive cost."
"While no single factor can explain the dramatic increase in interest, recent attention paid to UConn's rise in the national rankings to become a Top 20 school among public universities certainly had an impact," Fuerst said in the press release.
UConn is ranked No. 19 among public universities, according to U.S. News and World Report. UConn shares this ranking with Texas A&M, which estimates they received around 30,000 applications this year, and the University of Pittsburgh, which received 23,407 applications for Fall 2011.
Admissions will be sorting through applications for fall 2012 until May 1. The university estimates 3,225 freshmen will enroll in Storrs this fall.
"While UConn still has a considerable number of applications to review, this class of applicants appears to be very strong academically," Fuerst said. "We have good reason to be optimistic."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit