UConn bursts through application record

By Amy Schellenbaum

• UConn head coach Jim Calhoun earned his 700th career win Wednesday night with the Huskies´ 83-64 victory over the Georgetown Hoyas. Please see Sports for more on the game and Calhoun´s milestone. Brett Mickelson

This year, UConn admissions is vetting approximately 30,000 freshman applications to the school, beating last year's record-holding number of 28,100, according to a press release from the university.

A decade ago, the university received less than half the amount of applications submitted for fall 2012 and in the past two years, the number of applications has increased 36 percent, according to the release from UConn spokesperson Michael Kirk.

"I'm proud of the recognition that 30,000 applicants indicate UConn is a highly sought-after university," said 6th-semester psychology major Kayleigh Kangas. "I hope employers realize that UConn degrees come from a very competitive school."

Director of Admissions Nathan Fuerst attributed the increase in application volume, up more than 15,000 from 2001, to the university's "excellent academic reputation" coupled with the public school's "competitive cost."

"While no single factor can explain the dramatic increase in interest, recent attention paid to UConn's rise in the national rankings to become a Top 20 school among public universities certainly had an impact," Fuerst said in the press release.

UConn is ranked No. 19 among public universities, according to U.S. News and World Report. UConn shares this ranking with Texas A&M, which estimates they received around 30,000 applications this year, and the University of Pittsburgh, which received 23,407 applications for Fall 2011.

Admissions will be sorting through applications for fall 2012 until May 1. The university estimates 3,225 freshmen will enroll in Storrs this fall.

"While UConn still has a considerable number of applications to review, this class of applicants appears to be very strong academically," Fuerst said. "We have good reason to be optimistic."