Men's Hockey: Huskies take on future Hockey East rival Providence
UConn sophomore forward Joey Ferriss collects the puck during the Huskies’ 3-0 win over Bentley Friday night at the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs. The Huskies take on Providence College Tuesday night in Rhode Island. UConn will join the Friars in Hockey East next season. TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus
The UConn men's hockey team will get a look into its Hockey East future tonight as they take on the No. 12 Providence Friars in Rhode Island.
The Huskies faced their first Hockey East foe earlier in the year when they played Boston University. UConn was bested by the Terriers 4-1, as Brant Harris was able to score the lone goal that was assisted on by Kyle Huson and Sean Gaffney.
The last time the Huskies took the ice against the Friars was almost a decade ago during the 2004-05 campaign. History will not be on UConn's side, as the Huskies were handed a 4-3 loss at home. Brad Smith was a star in net for the Huskies, making 29 saves in the effort while his teammates Chris Uber, Bill Magnuson and Matt Scherer were able to find the back of the net.
Providence comes into the matchup currently ranked No. 9 according to USHCO Poll, but is 3-5-2 in its last 10 games and is on a two-game losing streak that has seen them drop consecutive games to UMass-Lowell and Boston College.
Providence gets most of its offensive firepower from junior Ross Mauermann, who leads him team with 16 goals and 15 assists, adding up to a team-leading 31 points. Sophomore Nick Saracino is the second leading assist man for the Friars, compiling 14 assists and five goals while classmate Mark Jankowski is the second-leading goal scorer with nine goals and eight assists.
Jon Gilles has started a majority of the games in net for the Friars as he has started 22 of the 27 games this season. He is 12-5-4 on the year and has a .927 save percentage.
The Huskies come into this match-up after splitting a pair of games against conference rival Bentley. The Huskies are currently tied for third with Air Force in the Atlantic Hockey Conference. This will be UConn's final year in the conference before moving on to Hockey East where they will begin facing Providence each year.
The puck drops in the Schneider Arena in Providence, R.I. at 7:05 p.m. Tuesday night.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest