Men's track: UConn to compete in last home meet of the season
The UConn men's track will be competing in a home meet Saturday at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs.
After last week's event in Georgia, the Huskies will be looking to improve on their two first-place finishes in a meet that can help them gain momentum for the home stretch. For many seniors, this will be their last meet at Storrs and with so few meets left, one of their last meets in their collegiate career.
Senior captain Darnell Cummings noted that it is "definitely getting a bit bittersweet at this point." Although Cummings is a senior, he has junior eligibility, which means he is eligible to compete another season. He said it's difficult to know that he will not be able to compete with some of the same kids next year.
Overall, when asked about his senior season he noted that, "As a group of individuals we are becoming closer as friends after this four-year journey most of us had together. We are just getting ready as a group to lay it all out there on the track for these next few weeks, and hoping things fall into place going into the championship season."
Last year in their final home meet, the UConn Classic, the men captured first place with 81.50 points, good enough to beat second-place Rhode Island and third place Southern Connecticut. The Huskies had twenty-seven top-five finishes in the event including first-place finishes by now-sophomore Harley Lacroix in the long jump and senior Cory Duggan in the pole vault.
Coach Greg Roy described last year's meet as the "kind of meet that hardens the competitors and produces great results."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?