Men's track: UConn to compete in last home meet of the season

By Matt Kren

The UConn men's track will be competing in a home meet Saturday at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs.
After last week's event in Georgia, the Huskies will be looking to improve on their two first-place finishes in a meet that can help them gain momentum for the home stretch. For many seniors, this will be their last meet at Storrs and with so few meets left, one of their last meets in their collegiate career.
Senior captain Darnell Cummings noted that it is "definitely getting a bit bittersweet at this point." Although Cummings is a senior, he has junior eligibility, which means he is eligible to compete another season. He said it's difficult to know that he will not be able to compete with some of the same kids next year.
Overall, when asked about his senior season he noted that, "As a group of individuals we are becoming closer as friends after this four-year journey most of us had together. We are just getting ready as a group to lay it all out there on the track for these next few weeks, and hoping things fall into place going into the championship season."
Last year in their final home meet, the UConn Classic, the men captured first place with 81.50 points, good enough to beat second-place Rhode Island and third place Southern Connecticut. The Huskies had twenty-seven top-five finishes in the event including first-place finishes by now-sophomore Harley Lacroix in the long jump and senior Cory Duggan in the pole vault.
Coach Greg Roy described last year's meet as the "kind of meet that hardens the competitors and produces great results."