Softball: UConn looks to continue their hot streak agaisnt Temple
After putting up a season-high 12 runs against Hartford on Wednesday, the UConn softball team will resume conference play in a three-game homestand at Burrill Family Field against the Temple Owls.
UConn (10-29, 2-9 American Athletic Conference) will square off against the Owls (13-19, 3-6 American) in a doubleheader Friday and the final game of the series on Saturday. The games are being played a day earlier than usual due to the Easter holiday.
The Huskies hope to carry over from their offensive explosion Wednesday against the Hawks by continuing to rely on the hot bats of third baseman Emily O'Donnell and left fielder Heather Fyfe.
Fyfe and O'Donnell combined to go 3-for-6 with eight of the team's 12 RBIs, and each added a long home run to left field.
Along with the improved offensive performance, UConn's pitching was stellar against the Hawks as well. Freshman Kayla Doty surrendered only a solo home run in the top of the third to pick up her third win of the season. Doty pitched all five innings while striking out six and only walking one batter.
Coach Karen Mullins said that more performances like this from Doty and Lauren Duggan will be necessary in order to be successful this weekend.
"(Temple is) a good offensive team," Mullins said. "It's going to be important that we get off to a good start and get good outings from the mound."
These games will be crucial in determining both teams' standings in the AAC, along with their seeding for the conference tournament in Houston that is less than a month away.
Temple's 3-6 record in the AAC is good enough for sixth in the conference, while the Huskies and their 2-9 conference record are currently in last place. At least one win for UConn will likely move them past Memphis for seventh place, and if the Huskies can win at least two games, they can climb past the Owls for sixth place.
First pitch of game one of the doubleheader on Friday is 1p.m., and the final game on Saturday will begin at noon.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?