Basketball: Men, women one win away from dual Final Fours

By Matt Stypulkoski

LINCOLN, Neb. - When it comes the UConn and basketball, history always seems to be on the horizon.
Only 10 times in NCAA history have both basketball programs from the same school made the Final Four in the same season. UConn has done it three times (2004, 2009 and 2011).
Now that the UConn men have taken down Michigan State, Huskies are one step closer to a fourth dual Final Four.
"That would definitely be something special," Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis said Sunday morning. "It'd be even more awesome for the guys, being that they didn't even play in the tournament last year. And now they're coming back with a chip on their shoulder."
The UConn women were scheduled to practice from noon to 2 p.m. local time today, which brought them into the start of the men's game.
"Once we're on the court, we know we have practice," Stefanie Dolson said. "As much as we want to watch the men's game, we have to focus on ours [vs. No. 3 Texas A&M] tomorrow too...once it's over, then we can worry about watching the men's game."
Mosqueda-Lewis said the team planned on hightailing it back to its hotel after the game in order to watch as much of the men's game as possible.
Interestingly, though, the team's haven't been in contact very much over the past few weeks. While the players spoke frequently during the week while both squads were on campus, they've gone mostly quiet once on the road.
"I don't like to text them just because I know when we have big games you're getting a bunch of texts from people," Dolson said. "So I keep it pretty minimal with them...but there's definitely a mutual support for each other."
For Dolson, as well as Bria Hartley, Shabazz Napier, Niels Giffey and Tyler Olander, a win from the women's squad would mean the second time they've experienced dual Final Fours. All five were freshman in 2011, the last time both programs made it to the final weekend, a fact not lost on Dolson.
"It'd be awesome," she said. "That just shows how special UConn in general is, UConn athletics. For us to have, if it happens, two teams in the Final Four, it would be amazing. For me and Bria to have it happen two times in our career would be even better."
With the men set to play in North Texas next weekend, it's now up to the women to hold up their end of the bargain against the Aggies Monday night at 9:30 p.m.