Women's Basketball: Mosqueda-Lewis crashes into BYU's chances

By Matt Stypulkoski

• This photo shows a recent meeting of the UConn College Republicans. The UConn College Republicans plan on being involved in the upcoming Mansfield municipal elections, according to the group’s president, Mark Sargent. SANTIAGO PELAEZ/The Daily Campus

LINCOLN, Neb. - With UConn struggling to shoot the ball at even close to its normal clip from behind the arc, something needed to change. Something in the final 20 minutes was going to have to be different if the Huskies were to stretch their one-point halftime lead and survive No. 12 BYU.
That something was Kaleena-Mosqeuda Lewis' offensive rebounds.
"I thought what the key to the game was was the offensive rebounds that she got," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "You don't expect that of her, but the last couple of games she's just been unbelievable."
Mosqueda-Lewis crashed the glass to write herself down in the UConn history books in the second round against No. 9 St. Joseph's, recording just the program's third triple-double. Saturday, she hit the offensive boards en route to her second straight double-double.
Six of the junior forward's eight offensive rebounds came in the second half, a crucial spark to provide the Huskies with extra possessions on a night where they shot terribly from three-point range (15.8 percent).
"Rebounding, for us, is definitely something that hypes us up," Stefanie Dolson said. "It gets us really excited and Kaleena really started it off for us and did such a good job of crashing the boards."
Auriemma spoke after the game about the contagious nature of shooting. Shooting, both good and bad, tends to breed more of the same result.
As it turns out, rebounding can have the same effect.
"Once one or two people start crashing the boards and getting offensive rebounds, everyone starts to do it," Dolson said. "You don't want to leave one person hanging and have them do the work."
With Mosqueda-Lewis in the lead, UConn certainly caught the rebounding bug in the second half.
Over the first 20 minutes, the Huskies led BYU on the glass, 20-19, but reeled in just seven offensive boards. But by the time the night ended, they had widened that gap to 47-38 and totaled 20 rebounds on the offensive glass.
"We had to make sure on offensive, if we knew we weren't hitting as many shots as we're used to, we had to get in there and get second shots for ourselves," Mosqueda-Lewis said.
Surviving a scare
Before Saturday, UConn had never trailed in the second half of a game this season. Really, they had barely trailed at all - just 38:49 total, and never by more than seven points.
But BYU pushed the envelope and put the Huskies in a position to which they are unaccustomed. By hitting a shot on their first possession just 20 seconds after halftime, the Cougars gave UConn its first second-half deficit. By hitting a handful of tough shots in the first half, they were able to stretch their lead to six points and hold onto it for quite a while. At one point, BYU led for more than six straight minutes.
For stretches, while UConn was unable to hit an open shot and the Cougars made seemingly everything, though, Auriemma admitted a bit of doubt began to creep in.
 "You start to think, 'How can we score without shooting it?'...You saw us going to the basket a lot more," Auriemma said. "You saw Bria Hartley really going to the basket a lot and [Mosqueda-Lewis] offensive rebounding. Kiah [Stokes] came in and did the same thing."
In the moment, being forced to enter survival mode is less than ideal. But in the long-term, surviving a scare - especially when they come around as infrequently as they do for UConn - can be vital.
"[I learned] that we can respond well," Dolson said. "This was kind of a good test for us, to get down and have to fight back. For us, we just learned that no matter what's happening we just have to settle down, stay together as a team and focus on ourselves."