Baseball: Marzi's pitching lifted UConn past Temple
Senior pitcher Anthony Marzi became the seventh player in UConn baseball history to reach 200 career strikeouts as the Huskies topped Temple 4-1 Thursday at J.O. Christian Field.
"It was a good outing, quality start," said Marzi, who pitched six complete innings while only allowing one run on four hits. Marzi struck out seven batters in the game and surrendered four walks.
"Anytime you can go six innings and let up less than three runs, that's a quality start," Marzi said.
Freshmen Patrick Ruotolo came out of the bullpen to get the save on three innings worth of perfect work while picking up three strikeouts.
Bobby Melley continued to his hot start to the 2014 season as he finished 3-for-3 on the day for his 16th multi-hit game of the season.
The Huskies got the scoring started in the bottom of the first inning as senior Tom Verdi slapped a single up the middle, stole second base and scored on an RBI single from Blake Davey.
Davey would cross the plate in the bottom of the third as Vinny Sienna hit into a fielder's choice to score the right fielder, making the score 2-0.
After the Owls got on the board in the sixth inning with one run, the Huskies would get some insurance in the bottom of the seventh. Eric Yavarone grounded the ball back to the pitcher with the bases loaded, but fortunately for the Huskies, Temple pitcher Matt Hockenberry would throw the ball over the catcher's head, allowing Davey to score from third base.
The Owls would then walk Max McDowell to allow another run in the inning to give the Huskies a 4-1 lead.
"We weren't clicking on all cylinders with the bats," UConn head coach Jim Penders said. "We found some holes and they gave us some gifts. It wasn't a real pretty game today, but we'll take it. We needed a Friday day win in the worst way and we finally got one. So I'll take it."
UConn and Temple will play two more times this weekend: Friday at 1 p.m. and Saturday at 1 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?