Baseball: Marzi's pitching lifted UConn past Temple

By Scott Carroll

Senior pitcher Anthony Marzi became the seventh player in UConn baseball history to reach 200 career strikeouts as the Huskies topped Temple 4-1 Thursday at J.O. Christian Field.
"It was a good outing, quality start," said Marzi, who pitched six complete innings while only allowing one run on four hits. Marzi struck out seven batters in the game and surrendered four walks.
"Anytime you can go six innings and let up less than three runs, that's a quality start," Marzi said.
Freshmen Patrick Ruotolo came out of the bullpen to get the save on three innings worth of perfect work while picking up three strikeouts.
Bobby Melley continued to his hot start to the 2014 season as he finished 3-for-3 on the day for his 16th multi-hit game of the season.
The Huskies got the scoring started in the bottom of the first inning as senior Tom Verdi slapped a single up the middle, stole second base and scored on an RBI single from Blake Davey.
Davey would cross the plate in the bottom of the third as Vinny Sienna hit into a fielder's choice to score the right fielder, making the score 2-0.
After the Owls got on the board in the sixth inning with one run, the Huskies would get some insurance in the bottom of the seventh. Eric Yavarone grounded the ball back to the pitcher with the bases loaded, but fortunately for the Huskies, Temple pitcher Matt Hockenberry would throw the ball over the catcher's head, allowing Davey to score from third base.
The Owls would then walk Max McDowell to allow another run in the inning to give the Huskies a 4-1 lead.
"We weren't clicking on all cylinders with the bats," UConn head coach Jim Penders said. "We found some holes and they gave us some gifts. It wasn't a real pretty game today, but we'll take it. We needed a Friday day win in the worst way and we finally got one. So I'll take it."
UConn and Temple will play two more times this weekend: Friday at 1 p.m. and Saturday at 1 p.m.