Volleyball to honor seniors this weekend

By Scott Carroll
On November 8, 2012

The UConn volleyball team will honor its three graduating seniors tonight before its final game of the regular season against the South Florida Bulls at Gampel Pavilion.
Mattison Quayle, Kelsey Maving and Angela Roidt will all be playing in their final regular season game for the Huskies on Friday night.
Quayle became the newest member of UConn's 1,000-kills club last weekend and leads the team this season with 334 kills.
Maving will finish her career as one of the greatest defensive players in UConn history. Her 567 digs this season are good for third in the Big East and have moved her into second all-time in the UConn record book, with a career total of 1,846. She is 218 digs behind Jessica Isaac, who set the record at 2,064 digs between 2006 and 2009.
Roidt has only played in 15 matches for the Huskies this season, but she is second on the team with 198 assists.
The Huskies (18-11, 9-5 Big East) have already clinched a berth in the Big East Tournament in Milwaukee, Wisc. for the first time since 2009. UConn will finish the regular season as either the No. 4 or No. 5 team in the conference, depending on the result of their match on Friday and the result of Cincinnati's matches against Notre Dame on Friday and Louisville on Sunday.
Because of their records, UConn and Cincinnati know already that they will finish fourth or fifth, meaning the two will play each other on Nov. 16 at Marquette University.
Despite knowing what lies ahead already, the Huskies will face a difficult task on Friday when they take on the Bulls. USF is currently 6-7 in the Big East and is in eighth place in the conference. Only the top eight teams make the conference tournament. As a result, USF will be playing for their lives in their final two matches.
The last time the two teams met was on Oct. 19 in Tampa. USF took a 2-0 lead and looked well on their way to victory. But the Huskies stormed back and won the match 3-2. That win began UConn's current five match winning streak.
The match is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m., with the Senior Night ceremonies taking part prior to the start of the match.