UConn Co-Op hosts authors for Roar Reading Series

By Alex Sferrazza

The UConn Co-op at Storrs Center held the very first installment of the "Roar Reading Series Hosted By Elephant Rock Books" on Monday evening. During each event, a series of authors will present a reading to the evening's audience from his/her work. The new series showcasing authors from the Nutmeg State will take place on the first Monday of every month at the Storrs Center Co-op.
Publisher Jotham Burrello, who runs the multimedia company Elephant Rock Productions, hosts the monthly series. Burrello is also an instructor at the Yale Summer Writing Conference.
"I had the idea for this series last Feburary," Burello said. "I'm glad to see it finally come to fruition."
He went on to compare the event's premiere to the Apollo 11 moon landing, adding, "I feel like this is a Neil Armstrong moment. How often do you get the chance to be part of the first anything?"
The first speaker of the evening was Christopher Torockio, author of the 2007 novel "Floating Holidays." Torockio read the group an excerpt from an upcoming work, which is a period piece set in 1940s America.
He was followed by Lee A. Jacobus, who read an excerpt from "Hawaiian Tales," a brand new release from the author comprising 14 short stories that the author said were inspired by a recent trip to Hawaii.
"They say writers never go on vacation," Jacobus said. "After a trip to Hawaii, I can't exactly say how, but the experience changed me."
The final guest speaker of the evening was Lucy Ferriss, who read an excerpt from "The Lost Daughter" her 2012 release about a woman who refuses to have a second child, confounding her husband. Ferriss says she was inspired to write the novel a few years ago after hearing a news story involving teenage girls leaving infants in dumpsters, one of which survived, leading to the novel.
The next installment of the Roar Reading Series will be on April 7 featuring authors Mika Taylor, Jason Courtmanche and Elizabeth Weinberg.