Summer movie spotlight: 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'

By Alex Sferrazza

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" promises to be a cinematic experience unique to either of the heroes' two prior appearances on the silver screen.
Released in 2011, "Captain America: The First Avenger" is a WWII period piece that introduced the legendary hero to modern audiences and set the stage for his return appearance in the present-day Marvel film continuity in 2012's "The Avengers." Taking place after the events of the latter film, "The Winter Soldier" will delve into Cap's unique position as a man out of time. Nearly everyone he knew from the 1940s has passed on, and Steve Rogers finds himself in a world both completely unknown and strikingly similar at the same time. These themes were hinted upon in "The Avengers," but this film will be the first to truly flesh them out.
Chris Evans will return to star as Steve Rogers/Captain America with Scarlett Johansen returning to the Marvel cinematic universe in her third appearance as S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Natasha Romanoff - a.k.a. the Black Widow following 2010's "Iron Man 2" and "The Avengers."
Hayley Atwell will return as Peggy Carter, Cap's love interest from "The First Avenger," as will Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark.
As much as the film marks a return of Captain America himself, the film will also give S.H.I.E.L.D. - the Marvel Universe's most secretive government security agency - its biggest presence since "The Avengers."
Samuel L. Jackson will reprise his role as S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Nick Fury, as will Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill, marking the third time the actress has portrayed the character after "The Avengers" and a cameo in the ABC television series "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Hollywood legend Robert Redford also joins the cast as a high level S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.
As for the film's villain, the Winter Soldier remains one of the greatest adversaries Cap has ever faced off against. While any comics fan could tell you the villain's true identity, for those not it the know, the revelation will surely be one of the most surprising moments of the film.
What makes "The Winter Solider" so exciting is the unique pair of directors selected by Marvel to helm the project.
Brothers Anthony and Joe Russo are big names to fans of television comedy: The pair has directed some of the most acclaimed episodes of many sitcoms, including "Community" and "Arrested Development." "The Winter Solider" marks their first blockbuster directorial effort. (The pair has directed a handful of comedy films, notably "You, Me, and Dupree.") As a big fan of the brothers' prior work, I have total faith that they'll pull off an amazing film. That, and the fact that Marvel has already attached the pair to direct the sequel due to incredibly positive test screenings of "The Winter Solider" for Marvel Executives.
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" will hit U.S. theaters on April 4, 2014.