Netflix movies to take advantage of

By Randy Amorim

"Jack Reacher": This movie went almost unnoticed during its busy December release. Fortunately for the franchise, a sequel is still happening. Tom Cruise stars as Jack Reacher, a former military detective turned drifter. After a deadly sniper attack, the framed suspect requests Reacher before falling into a coma. Reacher comes to town and investigates the case. I almost wrote this film off as I am not a fan of Tom Cruise, but I was glad I chose not to. Cruise really gives a great performance as Jack Reacher in a great mix of mystery, intense action, suspense and comedy. This is one of the great underrated movies of 2012.
"The Grey": Speaking of underrated great movies from 2012, "The Grey" was one of the year's best. The film was written off on its release as Liam Neeson punching wolves, but it is not an action movie. "The Grey" tells the tragic tale of a suicidal hunter who survives a plane crash in the middle of the wilderness. The hunter leads them in search of refuge, but they find themselves hunted by a violent pack of wolves. The film is an intense thriller of man versus wild, but also a strong emotional journey that will leave you in tears and awe in its finale.
"American Psycho": Christian Bale stars as Patrick Bateman, a handsome and successful Wall Street 80s businessman who is secretly a sociopathic serial killer in his spare time. The film follows Bateman as he begins to slowly lose his sanity and control over his dual lives. Christian Bale gives a truly terrifying performance in perhaps one of the most realistic and shocking portraits of a serial killer ever made which also serves as satire on American culture, male vanity and 80s values. A similar film available on Netflix, minus the allegories, is "Henry: Portrait of Serial Killer" which is a similarly realistic portrayal of serial killers based on the true story of Henry Lee Lucas. Both will leave you terrified and shocked and were notoriously controversial at the time of their release.
"The Last Stand": I didn't want to see Arnold's comeback either, but it is surprisingly a great action comedy. Schwarzenegger stars as a small town sheriff who finds himself tested when a dangerous fugitive approaches his town. "The Last Stand" is a modern day "Commando"-emulation filled with over the top violence, big laughs and a lot more substance than expected to elevate what is essentially a B-movie into a guilty pleasure.
"Sharknado": I haven't seen this. I don't plan to. It looks awful. I wouldn't recommend you waste your time on it either. There's a sequel being made to this while we still wait on a lot of sequels to good movies. Just throwing that out there.
"Zoolander": Ben Stiller stars as an unintelligent male model in this comedic satire of the fashion industry. Stiller's Zoolander has a vicious rivalry with Hansel (Owen Wilson). The two find themselves over their heads in a conspiracy led by Mogatu (Will Ferrell). Filled with nonstop laughs from start to finish, "Zoolander" is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.