CORRECTION: No changes made to USG constitution yet

By Nicholas Shigo
On May 1, 2014

Some information in yesterday's article "USG Votes to Pay Its Leaders" was misleading. The Undergraduate Student Government did not vote to pay its leaders and has made no changes to its constitution.
The vote at Wednesday's meeting passed legislation that mandates a discussion of executive compensation take place in the first three months of the Fall 2014 semester, followed by a vote in November.
The legislation was presented at the April 16 senate meeting, but was tabled until the April 30 meeting.
Senator Jake Broccolo proposed a tentative model for compensation, South Dorms senator, author of the bill, but no payment plan has yet been established.
"We will try to develop a model, bring it to the senate next semester and vote yes or no," Broccolo said.
Broccolo said that there is no current payment plan for members of USG, and voting to compensate member of the executive board will not happen until November 2014.
The payment figures cited in yesterday's article only reflect a proposed model by Brocollo and are subject to change in further discussion. No current USG member is compensated for their work, and this legislation does not guarantee there will be, according to Broccolo.
If senate votes for the proposed plan in November, it will be put to a student body as a change to the USG constitution.
USG plans to use the months before the deadline to discuss the bill and compensation model to reach an agreeable payment plan that will fit the needs of the student body and USG executive board.
If senators vote to compensate the executive board in November, they would not receive any type of compensation until the 2015-2016 school year at the earliest, Broccolo said.
The senate did not take any action to pay executive board members by passing this bill, but used it as a mandate to ensure it is discussed next semester, according to Speaker Kevin Alvarez.
"The reason for the legislation was to ensure the topic was discussed," Alvarez said. "We have failed to follow up on things in the past, and we wanted to ensure this is brought up for debate."