Lacrosse: UConn falls to Georgetown in Big East semifinals

By Eddie Leonard
On May 1, 2014

The third-seeded UConn women's lacrosse team lost 16-8 on Thursday to the number No. 2 seed Georgetown Hoyas in the Big East semifinals.
The game consisted of a series of runs from both teams. Georgetown went on the first run of the game, scoring the first three goals. The Hoyas led the Huskies for the first 15 minutes until UConn's Jordan Christopher was able to break through the Hoya defense and put the Huskies on the scoreboard. Christopher's goal sparked a two-goal run for the Huskies; Ally Fazio and Carly Palmucci scored both of their goals within a 30-second span.
However, Georgetown's Caroline Tarzian stopped the Huskies' run when she scored her second goal of the game at the 10-minute mark of the first half. Tarzain's teammate, Kelyn Freedman, recorded another Hoya goal two minutes later, which gave Georgetown a two-goal lead with eight minutes left in the half.
As said before, runs defined the game. The Huskies proved this late in the first half when they went on another game-tying run. Fazio scored her second goal of the game on an unassisted shot with 1:34 remaining. UConn senior midfielder Kacey Pippitt followed Fazio with a goal of her own less than 20 seconds later.
However, UConn got off to another slow start in the second half, despite Fazio scoring her third goal of the game. Senior Georgetown attacker Reilly Woodman scored two quick goals in a two-minute span. Woodman's goals would be followed by another four Hoya goals. The Hoyas out-scored the Huskies by eight goals in the second half. UConn had no answer for the Hoyas. Georgetown was too dominant on the offensive end. The Hoyas outshot the Huskies 31-21. Ultimately, the Huskies were not able to hang with the Hoyas for the full 60 minutes. UConn was unable to stop the firepower of the Hoya offense in the second half.