Women's Basketball UConn takes Nebraska in Sweet Sixteen games

By Matt Stypulkoski

For the UConn women's basketball team and its fans, Saturday begins a week-plus stretch that will involve plenty of travel, hotel rooms and, hopefully, a trophy.
After successfully navigating through the Storrs subregional this past weekend by knocking off No. 16 Prairie View A&M and No. 9 St. Joseph's, the top-seeded Huskies have earned themselves a trip to Lincoln, Neb. for the Sweet 16.
So far, the Lincoln Regional has been littered with upsets - No. 12 BYU knocked off No. 4 Nebraska and No. 7 DePaul took down No. 2 Duke on its home court - a trend that UConn will be keen to avoid extending.
And considering the Huskies are 19-2 all-time in the Sweet 16, history is on their side when they face off against the Cougars. It also helps that they are brimming with confidence after having five players score in double-digits for the ninth time in Tuesday's win over St. Joe's.
One of those double-digits scorers, and one of three to score 20-plus points on the night, was Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, who turned in a historic night and her most complete performance of the season.
Mosqueda-Lewis notched just the third triple-double in UConn history against the Hawks; Stefanie Dolson turned in the second such performance on Nov. 20 against Oregon.
But perhaps more important than the stat sheet for the junior forward was the all-around nature of her play and the emotional boost provided to a player who has been out of the lineup for long stretches due to injury and illness all season.
"The coaches have been telling me that I need to be a complete player and make sure I'm contributing in different ways," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "I think he's definitely right. Me playing at my best is when I'm doing everything that is possible whether it's rebounding or getting the ball to my teammates or shooting the ball or playing on defense."
UConn has only played BYU twice and won both contests, which came during a home-and-home series played Nov. 2007 and 2008. The Huskies won by an average of 47.5 points.
Tip-off is set for 4:30 p.m. at the Pinnacle Bank Arena and the game can be seen on ESPN. That game will be followed by No. 3 Texas A&M and No. 7 DePaul in the bottom half of the bracket at 6:30 p.m.