Men's tennis: UConn hosts Temple after successful spring break tournament
The UConn men's tennis team will look to keep its three-meet win streak alive as they host Temple University on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.
After winning their first three meets, the Huskies didn't see the win column for their next seven, going into a Spring Break trip last week without a victory since Sept. 24 against Siena College. During that trip, to Puerto Rico, UConn picked up three wins in three days, against Nichols College 6-1, Colgate University 4-3, and the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras 7-0.
"We need to keep playing with confidence, like we have nothing to lose," head coach Michael Louis said.
Freshman Christopher Toner was able to close out a tight meet against Colgate last week, winning in the No. 4 singles match to break a 3-3 tie and edge the Red Raiders.
"At this point in the season it's probably more mental," Louis said. "There were a lot of momentum shifts in each individual match, in the meet as a whole, and I saw a lot more positives from the guys last week in those moments."
The Huskies finish their season with six meets in the next three weeks, an opportunity to salvage a season that appeared lost just a few weeks ago.
For Louis, it's also a time to think about the mark he can leave on this program to end his first year as a head coach; and whether or not he can turn it into a winning season.
"We're coming into the last part of the season, this is a time where we can really think about the impact we can leave at the end of it," Louis said.
Temple, 6-10, also comes into the meet in winning form after beating out Lehigh, 5-2, and Villanova, 4-3. Temple, like UConn, is in the midst of trying to turn its season around, going 0-8 in dual meets to start of the year but 6-2 since.
The Huskies will look to deflate the Owls and keep their own momentum going this Saturday, as they attempt bring their record to .500 for the first time since Feb. 7.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?