Baseball: UConn has first home game after cancellations

By Scott Carroll

• Senior fullback Anthony Sherman carries the ball during UConn’s 48-20 loss to the Oklahoma Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1 in Glendale, Ariz. The university may incur a severe financial loss due to thousands of unsold tickets for the game. ASHLEY POSPISIL/The Daily Campus

The UConn baseball team will take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights this weekend in a three game series starting Friday at 3 p.m.
The Huskies and Scarlet Knights clashed last season with Rutgers taking two of three games in the series in New Brunswick, N.J. UConn won the first game of the series 3-1 as redshirt junior Carson Cross picked up the win. Cross pitched 7.2 innings, giving up one run on eight hits while striking out four.
Returning sophomore catcher Max McDowell was one of two Huskies to bat in a run in the contest as he finished with two hits including an RBI single to left field.
The Huskies wouldn't be as fortunate in the following two games as the Scarlet Knights would take the next two games of the series winning the second game 9-4 and the rubber match 4-2.
The Scarlet Knights come into the series with an 8-12 overall record. Rutgers has been having a very streaky season, experiencing multiple three or four-game losing streaks and a four-game winning streak.
Rutgers' most recent series was against the Lousiville Cardinals. The Scarlet Knights were able to take one of three games against the Cardinals, but outscored Lousiville 20-17.
The Scarlet Knights are led at the plate by their senior outfielder Brian O'Grady who has a .395 batting average thus far in the season with a team-leading two homeruns and 15 RBIs. Three other Scarlet Knights have a batting average over .300 as Pat Sweeney, Vinny Zarrillo and Lou Clemente.
Redshirt freshmen Kyle Driscoll has pitched the most innings for the Scarlet Knights this season with 28 innings pitched and 5.14 earned run average while striking out 26 batters. Sophomore Howie Brey leads the Scarlet Knights in earned run average with .96 over 18.2 innings. Brey has a 2-1 record this season and has struck out eleven batters.
The Huskies come into the series after losing three of their last four games with their most recent loss coming at the hands of the Hartford Hawks in a ninth inning, 3-2 loss.
UConn's overall record is 11-11 and their conference record is 1-2 as they take to their home field for the first time this season at J.O. Christian Field.
The first game of the series is penciled in for Friday at 3 p.m. with the second game to be played Saturday at 1 p.m. and the final game of the series to be played Sunday at 1 p.m.