Pro Side: Rams' RB Steven Jackson to void contract, will become a free agent
According to a report from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, longtime Rams' running back Steven Jackson will void the final year of his contract and become a free agent. After contract extension talks between Jackson and Rams GM Les Snead failed prior to last season, the team gave the veteran an option to void his contract a couple months after the season. NFL free agency begins March 12.
Over his nine years in St. Louis, Jackson accumulated 10,135 rushing yards and 56 touchdowns while reaching the 1,000 yard mark in each of the last eight seasons. While frequently bothered by injuries, the 6' 2", 240 lb. Jackson served as the core of the St. Louis offense for the entirety of his Ram career. This past year, he rushed for 1,042 yards and 4 touchdowns. However, he never played for a winning team since being drafted back in 2004.
Since the Rams' severe downturn in 2007, rumors constantly surfaced that the club would jettison Jackson, their biggest asset, out of town. The buzz stemmed from trade inquiries made by teams interested in the Pro Bowler and St. Louis' need for an infusion of talent through adding veterans and draft picks.
However, after the organization endured a top-to-bottom makeover with the hiring of Snead and new head coach Jeff Fisher over a year ago, those talks died down. The new leadership stockpiled picks via trade and with them turned the Rams into the youngest team in the league, which produced a rugged 7-9 campaign last season. This effort was partly helped by two rookie running backs Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson, Jackson's replacement.
While the rumors have subsided, it now does appear that the 30-year-old Jackson, St. Louis' all-time leading rusher, will finally be wearing a new uniform.
Potential landing spots include Indianapolis and Green Bay amongst others, depending on teams' salary cap situations come March 12. Last month, Jackson also mentioned retirement as a possibility.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall
- A Tip About Secondhand Smoke and Asthma
- Save Energy and Money With Home Lighting Techniques
- Former Smoker: You Can Quit