Howard Stern turns 60

By Alex Sferrazza

Howard Stern, the self-proclaimed "king of all media" turned 60 years old on Jan. 31. As controversial as he is successful, the radio shock jock has made a name for himself by doing things on air that have never been done before. The following text from a famous Apple ad fittingly describes Stern's career.
"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
From Hollywood's biggest stars to his merry band of misfit guests (such as "Yucko the Clown"), Stern has quite literally done it all in radio. Forbes' 2nd highest celebrity earner for 2013 (behind Simon Cowell) is still working hard, doing his signature radio show five days a week in addition to his duties as a judge on "America's Got Talent" on NBC, which Stern will return to for a third consecutive season.
Fittingly, on the occasion of his 60th birthday, the man was given a celebration unlike any other. On Jan. 31, New York's Hammerstein Ballroom was jam packed with a who's who of big name celebrities turning up for the event, fittingly from every major entertainment medium including musicians Steven Tyler, John Mayer, John Fogerty, Jewel, Dave Grohl, Adam Levine, Jon Bon Jovi and Slash in addition to various television and movie stars such as Robert Downey Jr., Sarah Silverman, Bryan Cranston, Lena Dunham, Heidi Klum, Barbara Walters, Katie Couric, Fred Armisen, Louis C.K., Tracy Morgan and John Stamos.
Other attendees included N.J. Governor Chris Christie and the infamous "Tan Mom."
The entire four-hour extravaganza was broadcast live over Sirius XM Satellite Radio, which Stern has called home ever since leaving terrestrial airwaves (and FCC regulations) behind in 2004.
The biggest surprise of the night, and the one seemingly most appreciated by Stern, was an appearance by David Letterman. A longtime friend of Stern's (and fellow Jay Leno critic), Letterman's appearance was exceptionally rare. The "Late Show" host is famous for refusing interviews and is rarely seen making public appearances. Yet, he stopped by and chatted with Stern for well over 20 minutes, far longer than any other interviewee that evening.
Dave's appearance was in addition to those of "Jimmy Kimmel Live" host Jimmy Kimmel (also the evening's master of ceremonies) and Jimmy Fallon who will take over "The Tonight Show" on Feb. 17.
Who else but Howard Stern could get the three hosts of each major television network's flagship late night talk show to share the same stage in a single evening?
Stern called the evening "the most incredible night of my life."