One ton of ice cream and fun for students

By Madiha Shafqat

At 11 a.m. on Friday, students started rushing to the Student Union Terrace to be first in line for One Ton Sundae, one of UConn's earliest traditions.
"I was here last year and I had a great time, but this time I figured I would come early because I knew there would be big crowds. I was first in line!" 8th semester Economics major Orlando Marin said.
Within fifteen minutes, the line of students awaiting their chance to dig into their bucket of ice cream grew longer and longer, even with the extremely low temperatures outside.
Marin was first in line partly because of the perks that seniors had at this popular event. Seniors with their senior buttons had their own line, separate from all the other students and non-students that participated in the One Ton Sundae event. The senior perks were considered a luxury because it allowed them to receive their ice cream within a matter of minutes.
"It was a great experience because we didn't have to wait in the cold for so long," 8th semester Political Science and Geography double major Greg Coffee said.
Students could choose from an assortment of colorful flavors ranging from "Chocolate Lovers Chocolate" to "Old- Fashioned Vanilla" to "Moose Tracks" to "Strawberry." Students also had many toppings to choose from.
A special ice cream flavor was present in the midst of other delicious ones: The Senior Scoop.
This year's Senior Scoop, a flavor that was designed and named by the senior class, was coffee ice cream with Oreo and fudge swirl.
"It was quite good," said Coffee.
Although the Senior Scoop was provided by the Dairy Bar, the rest of the ice cream was not. Instead, it was provided by Gifford's.
"As much as we would love to get all of the ice cream from the UConn Dairy Bar, the number of gallons we need to serve over 600 students is more than the Dairy Bar can produce," Elise Yonika, Major Weekends Coordinator at the Student Union Board of Governors, said.
SUBOG served approximately 600 students and over 200 gallons of ice cream were used.