Chuli, women's hockey beat ranked opponent for first time since 2010

By Ryan Tolmich

The UConn women's hockey team picked up back-to-back victories, as the team was able to win two straight games for the first time since late October.
The Huskies opened the weekend with an upset of No. 7 Boston College 2-0 before knocking off New Hampshire 3-1 on the road the following day.
With these victories, the Huskies find themselves with a 6-10-1 conference record and a 9-19-2 record overall.
Huskies knock off ranked opponent for first time since 2010
With the victory over nationally ranked Boston College, the Huskies were able to knock off a ranked foe for the first time since 2010.
"It's my first time beating BC," senior Stephanie Raithby said. "I'm a senior on the team, so it's quite a gift, with it being my last time playing BC. It was nice to score a goal today, obviously, but the team is just ecstatic."
However, knocking off a team like BC is about a lot more than pride. Raithby also believes it is a testament to the team's worth ethic.
"It's really nice to see that we can beat a top 10 team because we know we're there," Raithby said. "But to actually finally beat a top 10 team is really saying that what we've been working for is coming together."
Chuli continues her hot streak
UConn goaltender Elaine Chuli was able to add yet another pair of 30 save performances to her résumé, as the sophomore goaltender was able to stop 83-of-84 shots over the weekend.
Chuli was also able to pick up her second shutout of the season, as her blanking of nationally ranked BC ended an 11-game winning streak for the Golden Eagles.
"I just like to keep it consistent every game and not get too high and not get too low," said Chuli, who was named Hockey East Co-Goaltender of the Month for her performances in January.
However, Chuli was quick to mention the play of those in front of her, as the UConn defense was a major part in the weekend's success.
"We did a great job of keeping it simple and cleaning out rebounds for me," Chuli said. "They did a great job in our zone of clearing things out and it really helped a lot."
Coach Chris MacKenzie also recognized the contributions of his defense, as keeping opponents off the scoreboard has been a major focus.
"They had a lot of possession time in our zone, but for the most part they were outside," Mackenzie said after the win over BC. "If we're willing to battle in front and maybe block some shots, which is what we did today, and obviously have the goaltending there, we were able to keep them off the board. That's a feat in itself and we're happy with that."