Men's Hockey Notebook: Nichols, Sims on display for UConn

By Scott Carroll

The UConn men's hockey team split a pair of games with the Bentley Falcons this weekend, winning Friday night as 3-0 on Friday night and falling to the Falcons 4-1, Saturday.
Freshmen Robby Nichols was on full display Friday night as he turned away 28 shots in UConn's first shutout of the season.
"Robby's been solid all year long," head coach Mike Cavanaugh said. "As long as we score one more goal than them, I know it's an important thing and it's a credit to Robby for the shutout and the team defense, but I think he'd tell you as well that if we won 3-2 we'd be just as happy."
The freshman goalie has shown a lot of growth in his first year in Storrs. After this weekend he has a record of 5-1-2 on the year.
"I've worked a lot with Tyler Bilton, our goalie coach," Nichols said. "He's helped me improve a lot. And obviously watching [Matt] Grogan. He's pushed me a lot and I've tried to follow his game a little bit. He's really composed and that's something I needed to work on when I first came in."
Senior Jordan Sims was able to tally his 98th and 99th career points on Friday night, leaving him one shy of 100 points on his career.
"Really It'll just make reflect on the past and who I've player with," Sims said. "I've played with a bunch of great players: Cole Schnedier..., I've played with Brant [Harris] and I've played with Billy [Latta] my four years. Just as a team, it just shows that if we just pay good, the stats will make themselves."
Cavanaugh also agreed that 100 points would be very special for his player.
"In college hockey it just seems to be the milestone," Cavanaugh said. "As Jordan alluded to, I just think that when his career is done he can reflect back on it and it's a pretty nice accomplishment. I hope he gets there tomorrow night."
The Huskies would lose Saturday night to Falcons 4-1. This puts them into a tie for third place in the Atlantic Hockey Conference with Air Force, as they sit one point behind Bentley.
Mercyhurst currently leads the conference with 30 points, but four teams, UConn, Bentley, Air Force and Robert Morris are four points or less behind.
The Huskies have three more conference double headers to play this season and will look to narrow the gap in the competitive field.
The Huskies take on the Providence Friars this Tuesday in Providence, Rhode Island at 7:05 p.m.