Point/Counterpoint: Who is taking home the Vince Lombardi trophy?

By Dalton Zbierski & Spencer Oakes
On January 29, 2014

Spencer Oakes: On the back of Russell Wilson and the mouth of Richard Sherman, the Seahawks have ridden their way into Super Bowl XLVIII. Momentum is on their side. Having won 11 of their last 13 games dating back to early October, Seattle cannot be stopped. While Denver proposes a formidable challenge, it is not one that can't be topped. The Broncos may be two point favorites but it would not be surprising to see them fall to Seattle. Playing in their second Super Bowl since 2006, the chips may be in place for Seattle to leave the Meadowlands victorious. This just may be the Seahawks year.

Dalton Zbierski: Peyton Manning's offense is without question high-powered and efficient, but Seattle just may have the pieces in place to shut it down. Richard Sherman has quietly put together a magnificent season. After his postgame antics in the wake of Seattle's NFC Championship Game victory, he let the whole world know who the best corner in the game was. Statistics don't lie. This season alone Sherman's accumulated eight interceptions. Game film doesn't lie either. Sherman has mastered the tools of his trade down to a science. When covering wide receivers, Sherman resists the temptation to "peak." He keeps his eyes strictly on the numbers of the receiver he is covering. He plays the corner like a stain that cannot be removed. While Peyton Manning could be the quarterback to defeat Sherman, he definitely has his work cut out when considering Seattle's brilliant corner.

Spencer Oakes: Sherman without question will be a thorn in Manning's side all game long, but he's the ultimate veteran who may be the best student of the game that the NFL has ever seen. He will without a doubt be ready for what Richard Sherman will throw at him and he will find a way to beat it. Manning has his legacy leaning on the results of this game and he might not admit it, but he certainly understands the need for him to win.

Dalton Zbierski: It is true Denver may be the favorite in this game. Perhaps they are the better team. But I see the Seahawks as coming from the hungrier city. Think about the sports scene in Seattle compared to the one in Denver. In a city that knows little but rain Seattle has the Mariners, a perennial loser, and lost their NBA franchise to Oklahoma City. Going into this Super Bowl I predict Denver to have the better physical talent. But backed by its city and the hunger that keeps it relevant, the Shehawks will pull off a close and hard fought victory.