USG votes to move forward with plan to pay its leaders

Senate adds pay for exec to constitution, awaits student body vote

By Nick Shigo
On May 1, 2014

The Undergraduate Student Government voted Wednesday to make USG executive board positions of president, vice president, comptroller, committee chairs and senate speaker paid positions.
 USG will devise a payment model over the course of the following year, and will put forth a new bill to the senate in November 2014.
The original bill was presented at the April 16 senate meeting by Senator Jake Broccolo, South Dorms senator. It was tabled to a later date due to confusion and dissenting opinions from other members of the senate.
"It's a rather large change, and I think people wanted to be more informed on it than they were," Broccolo said.
Broccolo said in his first presentation of the bill that 77 percent of executive board members in colleges across the country are compensated in some way.
The student government of UConn's Hartford and Stamford campuses already receive compensation, according to Maria Soshea, Chief Financial Officer of the Residence Hall Association, and member of the Student Fee Advisory Board.
This bill gives USG three months at the beginning of the Fall 2014 semester to come up with a viable model of compensation for executive positions.
The senate will use that time to talk with students to get their opinion on the legislature and revise the bill to fit the needs of USG and the student body.
The proposed model would set aside approximately $50,000 of the USG executive budget for the compensation of the executive board, according to Broccolo. He stated that this would not have an effect on the $48 already paid in USG fees by each student each semester, and would not change the way USG funds other organizations on campus.
According to Broccolo, the bill would require a change in the USG constitution, a decision that can only be made through a vote of the student body.
Newly elected comptroller Parth Rana supports the bill as well.
According to Rana, members of the executive board work approximately 20-25 hours a week, and compensation for their time would be a strong motivator for continued service to the student body.
Rana supports Broccolo's claim that this legislation would put no additional costs to students.
"It's a good idea," Rana said. "It incentivizes the executive board to work for themselves as well as for the student body."