Piers Morgan, Niall Horan score for charity

By Ellie Hudd
On May 1, 2014

Former CNN news anchor Piers Morgan and One Direction member Niall Horan will compete in a soccer match for charity, according to both men's recent comments on Twitter.
Horan originally signed on to host the event, which will benefit Irish Autism Action and Hearts & Minds Foundation. The singer will manage one of the teams. Morgan, an outspoken fan of England's Arsenal Football Club who has frequently engaged in some Twitter-based friendly fire with the British pop band, was tapped as manager for the other team.
Morgan, whose engagement with social media has broadened significantly since the end of his CNN show last month, has drummed up significant publicity for the event by attempting to tap a number of famous faces for his team, regardless of whether they actually play soccer.
"You play football?" Morgan tweeted to wrestler Mike Tyson. "The real one, no helmets/padding? Need a central defender."
However, Morgan has also been keen on recruiting famous soccer players, including Urayguayan player Luis Suarez and Welsh player Robbie Savage, the latter of whom will serve as Morgan's team captain.
Horan, for his part, has tapped a celebrated, if inexperienced, lineup for his team. On Horan's roster so far are One Direction members Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne, singer Olly Murs and Rod Stewart. Horan is unable to play himself due to an operation in January, but told Morgan on Twitter that he might attempt to "play for 10 minutes and have [Morgan's] ankle."
Morgan was unfazed by the friendly challenge, replying, "Bring it on."
It seems that fans of the two are just as excited for the match, as 10,000 tickets have already been sold.
The event will take place on May 26 at 3 p.m. UTC at Kings Power stadium in Leicester. Tickets range from pound16 to pound27, or about $27 to about $46.