Piers Morgan, Niall Horan score for charity
Former CNN news anchor Piers Morgan and One Direction member Niall Horan will compete in a soccer match for charity, according to both men's recent comments on Twitter.
Horan originally signed on to host the event, which will benefit Irish Autism Action and Hearts & Minds Foundation. The singer will manage one of the teams. Morgan, an outspoken fan of England's Arsenal Football Club who has frequently engaged in some Twitter-based friendly fire with the British pop band, was tapped as manager for the other team.
Morgan, whose engagement with social media has broadened significantly since the end of his CNN show last month, has drummed up significant publicity for the event by attempting to tap a number of famous faces for his team, regardless of whether they actually play soccer.
"You play football?" Morgan tweeted to wrestler Mike Tyson. "The real one, no helmets/padding? Need a central defender."
However, Morgan has also been keen on recruiting famous soccer players, including Urayguayan player Luis Suarez and Welsh player Robbie Savage, the latter of whom will serve as Morgan's team captain.
Horan, for his part, has tapped a celebrated, if inexperienced, lineup for his team. On Horan's roster so far are One Direction members Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne, singer Olly Murs and Rod Stewart. Horan is unable to play himself due to an operation in January, but told Morgan on Twitter that he might attempt to "play for 10 minutes and have [Morgan's] ankle."
Morgan was unfazed by the friendly challenge, replying, "Bring it on."
It seems that fans of the two are just as excited for the match, as 10,000 tickets have already been sold.
The event will take place on May 26 at 3 p.m. UTC at Kings Power stadium in Leicester. Tickets range from pound16 to pound27, or about $27 to about $46.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer