Pages of summer

By Ashley Maher
On May 1, 2014

As we are now that much closer to summer break (only a week away although it still feels as if it's early March) we are all finalizing our plans for those long summer days and nights. Whether it is working at an internship, summer job, going abroad or even graduating and moving on to completely new phases of life, there is one summer staple that never ceases in value: that perfect summer book.
Yes, there may be some people out there rolling their eyes at this statement, but think about this: no longer are you caught in the clutches of a dry, unforgiving text book, or painfully scrolling through online books or PDFs for that final paper or exam. Summer is the time where you have power over what you do, and therefore what you read can be as mundane and boring, or as simple, fun and mindless as you choose. If you aren't the person who will go scan the shelves at your local library or bookstore and want an easy cheat sheet to what you should read this summer, then consider this your official Summer Reading List of five fantastic books to read this summer. Hope you enjoy!
A Classic: "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac
"On the Road" is a work from the subculture called the beat generation that flared in the late 1950s and 60s. Kerouac's interesting stream of consciousness writing is entertaining and much different than other more traditional works of this time. The plot follows a road trip that Kerouac and his friends embarked on from the west coast to the east coast and their exciting journey in between. This classic may inspire you and your friends to take your own journey this summer.
A New Release: "I'll Be Right There" by Kyung Sook-Shin
Sook-Shin's new book takes place in South Korea in the 1980s, through the difficulties of political uproar. The main character, a girl in her 20s, navigates this challenging world while dealing with ghosts of her past, one being an estranged lover. This book is particularly interesting due to its suspenseful, secretive plot. Definitely a book that will keep a reader interested.
Self-Help: "How To Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie
If you know of Dale Carnegie, you have most likely read his most famous book "How to Win Friends and Influence People." There is nothing like the long break of summer to learn a little more about oneself and grow as a person. "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" is another installment in Carnegie's "self-help" series and seems like a great way to de-stress from the semester and arm oneself for an adventurous new experience.
Travel: "Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe" by Bill Bryson
Popular for his travel narratives, in this book Bryson captures his excursions throughout Europe. Summer is the best time of year to experience a new place and immerse oneself in a new culture. So what better way than to be inspired by the travels of another? This book could be the guide that sends you packing for your next worldly destination.
Short Story/Essay Collection: "I Was Told There'd Be Cake" by Sloane Crosley
Short stories or essay collections are perfect choices for summer break because they are short, sweet and to the point. The summer is a time of great serendipity, so who knows where you will be at any given moment? Crosley's book of humorous essays is one of my favorites. Her unique voice screams off the page and brings tears of laughter. Her essays about her weird quirks and awkward family stories will keep you very entertained even if you only have five minutes.