UConn4Syria to host fund raiser for refugees

By Marissa Piccolo

UConn's Amnesty International chapter will be hosting UConn alumnus, photographer and journalist Diego Cupolo, for a UConn4Syria event on Friday. The event will take place from 3 to 5 p.m. in Room 311 of Koons Hall, and is free and open to all.
Diego Cupolo, CLAS Journalism '06, is the author of the book "Seven Syrians: War Accounts from Syrian Refugees" which documents the lives of seven regular, everyday Syrians as they experience the war and most devastating refugee crisis the world has seen in 20 years. In addition to giving their personal, eyewitness accounts, Cupolo features photo portraits of the storytellers. A percentage of profits from Cupolo's book go to A Heart for Syrian, a non-profit organization that aides Syrian refugees. It is published by 8th House Publishing and available through the publisher, at Amazon.com, Barnes&Noble and other retailers.
During his time at UConn, Cupolo was the news editor of The Daily Campus and traveled with Community Outreach on an alternative break to New Orleans to volunteer with hurricane-relief. He began his journalism and photography careers in New York City and has resided in Montreal, Quebec and Buenos Aires, Argentina, working on the road as an independent journalist. Both his written and visual work has been featured in The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The Associated Press, The Village Voice, The Australian Times, Discover Magazine, The Argentina Independent and Diagonal Periódico.