Baseball: Huskies play in Baseball at the Beach Tournament
The UConn baseball team will travel to South Carolina this weekend for the Baseball at the Beach Tournament.
UConn will play against Wichita State, George Mason and Coastal Carolina, the host of the tournament, in this weekend's tournament.
The Huskies are looking to right the ship after an 0-3 start to their season last weekend at the Snowbird Classic. UConn allowed 18 runs in the three losses to Ohio State, Indiana State and Auburn while only scoring five.
UConn will start out its weekend Friday at 4 p.m. with a game against the Wichita State Shockers. The Shockers come into the game with a 4-0 record, with three of those wins coming against Southern Illinois Edwardsville, one of which ended 21-2. The Shockers also beat Central Arkansas 9-6.
Despite being ranked outside of the nation's top 30, Wichita State did receive votes in the latest National College Baseball Writers Association poll.
The Shockers have been led offensively by junior first baseman Casey Gillaspie. He leads the team with a .529 batting average, 10 RBIs and two home runs on the year.
Up next on the docket for the Huskies will be George Mason on Saturday at 5 p.m.
George Mason is also undefeated thus far this season with a 3-0 record. The Patriots have defeated Morehead State twice so far this season, once by a score of 22-5, and they also defeated South Carolina Upstate.
The Patriots currently have five players batting over .500 on the year, led by Chris Cook (.615) and Jayme Murray (.600). Cook also leads George Mason with two home runs and nine runs scored, and Tobin Tuker leads the team with seven RBIs.
The last game of the tournament will be against the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
Coastal comes into the weekend sporting a 1-2 record after a three-game series with the Pittsburgh Panthers. The Chanticleers allowed 25 runs in the series while only scoring 16 of their own.
Offensively, the Chanticleers have relied on the bat of sophomore Tyler Chadwick in the early going. Chadwick leads the team with a .714 batting average and is tied for the team lead with four RBIs.
The tournament at Myrtle Beach in the Baseball at the Beach Tournament and will be broadcast on WHUS.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest