Softball: UConn opens up season with five games in Florida
The UConn softball team will open their season this weekend in Clearwater, Florida as they play five games in the Lead-Off Classic. The Huskies will play Hofstra and DePaul today, College of Charleston and Massachusetts on Saturday and will finish with Illinois State on Sunday.
Coach Karen Mullins believes that the young squad will be able to challenge for a championship in their inaugural season in the American Athletic Conference. "We feel like we really like what we are seeing in the preseason," Mullins said. "Even though last year was a huge disappointment I think we have a group that has come back that is focused and determined."
The team returns 12 players from last years team that finished 26-27 with an 8-14 record in the Big East. UConn views their versatility and depth as one of their strengths. Mullins expects contributions from every member of the team in order to be successful this season.
"We really aren't looking to just one person which is what I like about this group," Mullins said. "We have very strong team chemistry and our seniors are really hungry to leave a certain legacy behind and go out in a good way."
There returning Huskies are pitchers: Alyson Ambler, Katelyn Callahan and Lauren Duggan. Freshman newcomer Kayla Doty is also joining the pitching staff, which will play an important role for UConn and will be tested this weekend as their tough non-conference schedule begins.
According to Mullins, the group has worked hard in the off-season in order to prepare for the wear and tear of a long season.
"They have been a really focused group and have been working hard," Mullins said. "I think they compliment each other well and we are looking for this group to really lead the way and set the tone for us."
The Huskies' team chemistry will be put to the test this weekend as they look to gain momentum to start the season.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?