Workshop provides crash course in job hunting

By Katherine Tibedo

• Assistant director at Career Services Larry Druckenbrod holds up materials that will assist students in finding jobs. Druckenbrod gave students helpful hints for tackling the job search in his workshop on Thursday. RACHEL WEISS/The Daily Campus

Larry Druckenbrod, assistant director at Career Services, told students yesterday that sending out a resumé to 30 or 40 companies each day is only part of doing an active job search.

Yesterday's workshop, which took place at 4 p.m. in the Center for Undergraduate Education, was designed to give graduating seniors a crash course in job hunting. Druckenbrod walked the small group of seniors through the different resources available to graduating students who are looking for jobs. His main point was for seniors to get their resume out to as many companies as possible.

"You want to get your resumé out there," he said. "It's all about marketing yourself."

Druckenbrod took students through resources for job searching available through UConn. He began on the Department of Career Services website. From there he opened the website HuskyCareerLink, found in the "Students" drop down menu.

This website is an online posting system where employers can post job openings. Students can then apply straight from the posting or by following the instructions in the posting. Furthermore, students can upload their resumé to resumé-books that are industry specific. Employers who may not want to post a job listing may download these resume-books and look for potential employees.

The website also offers access to the National Association of Colleges and Employers' national job listings, for students who are interested in jobs outside of the Connecticut area. Students interested in finding jobs outside of Connecticut were also encouraged to reach out to friends at other universities, seeing that most colleges have a similar systems to HuskyCareerLink. Students may be able to gain access to them using friends' access information.

Off of the HuskyCareerLink website, Druckenbrod showed students Career Search, a service that allows people to search for companies based on industry and location. Once a student has narrowed down a search, they were encouraged to send resumes to as many companies as possible.

"You should never ask the question, ‘do you have a job,'" said Druckenbrod. Instead, he told students to make opportunities by showing companies why you will benefit them. The job search is a numbers game; it is about getting your resumé out there to as many people as possible and marketing yourself well. As Druckenbrod said, you'll send out 100 resumés and maybe get three or four interviews.

When sending out resumés, students were reminded to never send a "naked resumé." In other words, resumés should always have a cover letter. When emailing a prospective employer, that email becomes the cover letter and the resumé should be copy and pasted into the email, since people will not always open attachments.

"If you're finding the players and approaching them, then you're making opportunities," said Druckenbrod.

Jeanette Cantwell, an eighth semester communications major, said, "There aren't a lot of jobs out there and I'm trying to get any helpful hints about finding one."

"I'm a senior and it's tough out there in the real world," said Christina Tobitsch, an 8th semester environmental sciences major. "Any bit of advice about getting a job in this economy is useful."

Students seeking more information about the job search process can go to the Career Services office located in room 217 in the Center for Undergraduate Education.