What does 2012 have in store for video games?
Taking the ancient Mayan apocalyptic speculations that inspired a dismal John Cusack action film aside for a bit, 2012 appears to have a potentially great year for video games. After all, this year of draconian propaganda has just begun with two systems and some heavily anticipated games on the way.
And speaking of those new systems, the Playstation Vita is being released at the end of February. The portable gaming device with PS3-quality graphics will be launched with a plethora of available titles from Uncharted to Lumines. Unfortunately, its release in Japan last month had slow sales after the launch and reports of technical issues. Hopefully Sony's new gaming hardware will have a smoother debut in the States. As for the Playstation 3, it looks like another good year is on the way with the next Sly Cooper game and high chances for "The Last Guardian" to be released.
Then there's Nintendo, who is releasing a whole new console, the Wii U. The anticipation right now for the launch is fascinating. So far it doesn't look like a sure-fire success or a catastrophic failure. Rather, the potential underneath all the revealed information could go any way. There are still far too many unanswered questions about that bulky controller, and there hasn't been any real footage of full Nintendo games shown. Ultimately, the coverage that'll be strewn throughout the year will be the true test of the Wii U's value.
Despite a mixed first year for the 3DS, it seems like things are finally picking up for the platform. Not only are there gems like "Luigi's Mansion 2" and "Kid Icarus: Uprising" coming in the upcoming months, the download store has gotten some great attention lately for 3D games like "Pushmo" and "Mighty Switch Force" throughout the weeks. But because the Vita will be out next month and iOS platforms are pressuring the raison d'être of game-specific portables, even the slightest bit of slowdown could become a death sentence.
And finally there's Microsoft, who has already stated that something from them will be announced at E3. Will it be a whole new system that'll set the next console generation to motion? Possibly, yes. But with upcoming behemoths like the next "Halo" and "Bioshock Infinite," it's a bit of a stretch to think that it would be available in time for the holidays. I would go so far as to say it has enough of a chance as "Grand Theft Auto V" coming out this year, which is about as likely as the Mayan-prophesized end of days happening. But at the same time, crazy things have certainly happened in the industry, so we'll just have to wait and see what ends up happening among all game platforms in 2012.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?