Editorial: Perpetuation of 'rape culture' on college campuses is disgraceful
Here is how to dance: Grab them on the hips with your 2 hands and then let them grind against your d**k. After that slowly alternate between just putting your hand across their stomach, but make sure don't to go to high (keep it under the boob) or too low (dont try to finger her... yet). After a song, start putting your cheek on the side of her cheek. ALWAYS USE YOUR HANDS OR ARMS TO GUIDE THEIR DANCING in order to maximize your pleasure," (sic).
- Stated Matthew Peterson in an email sent to his fraternity brothers of the fraternity Phi Kappa Tau at Georgia Tech University.
The email signed as "In luring rapebait" illustrates the ugly side of fraternities, and is a small glimpse into the rape culture at colleges.
The email vividly explained the "how to" of "macking," getting women inebriated and taking advantage of their altered state of mind, all for the sake of being "successful."
In the email, the former Phi Kappa Tau brother explained that "IF ANYTHING EVER FAILS, GO GET MORE ALCOHOl." (sic).
When it comes to date rape drugs, the most commonly used is alcohol. A study published by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, reported that 50 percent of rape victims were given alcohol. Some studies have shown that up to 81 percent of sexual assault victims had alcohol prior to being assaulted.
Additionally, in the email, Peterson preached the "7 E's of HOOKING UP" which consisted of "Encounter, Engage, Escalate, Erection, Excavate, Ejaculate, and Expunge."
Nationwide criticism has resulted in the expulsion of Peterson from the fraternity. Furthermore, the fraternity condemned his actions.
However, such emails should come as no surprise, as rape culture is common, especially on college campuses all over the country.
Just recently, two UConn students were allegedly sexually assaulted on the infamous "rape trail." A couple days before hand, UConn students cheered at the mention of the "rape trail" at a Timeflies concert.
Although Peterson's email does not reflect the principles of fraternities, it does display the ugly nature of rape culture among college students.
Rape is not funny and will never be funny. To take advantage of anybody is illegal and should be condemned by society, not encouraged.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer