Second crew takes 3rd in N.J.

By Jimmy Onofrio

The first and second varsity boats of the UConn women's rowing team competed on Saturday in the Murphy Cup Regatta on the Cooper River in Camden, N.J. First varsity finished in the top 12, putting them in the petite final, while the second varsity crew walked away with third place overall in their division.

The varsity boat, with rowers Charlotte Kelley, Diana Filipek, Kaitlyn Clarke, Hillary Wiles-Lafayette, Adrienne Barrett, Andriel Doolittle, Mary Grace Haggett, Erin Mounce and Brittany DePoi, finished fourth in the petite final with a time of 8:01.2. Temple (7:42), Rutgers (7:46) and Bucknell (7:53) finished ahead of the Huskies, while La Salle (8:14) and Lehigh (8:28) took the last two spots.

Coach Jen Sanford-Wendry said strong headwinds contributed to "pretty unfavorable" conditions for the first team. "We have a very physically small varsity eight, so a tailwind works much better for them," she said. A number of the schools in the Murphy Cup will once again be opponents in the Dad Vail Regatta, held in Philadelphia at the end of the semester. Sanford-Wendry said, "Knowing that we could have many more racing weekends of headwinds, we will be switching the lineups moving forward to try to make a varsity eight that can potentially row a little longer technically, and do a little better job handling headwind conditions."

She was more impressed with the second varsity eight, who walked away from the competition with a bronze medal. "They handled the rough conditions very well and in the heat, got out ahead and really controlled the race," Sanford-Wendry said about the crew. Despite rough conditions, they raced hard again in the final and were able to finish third with a time of 8:01, behind Navy (7:45) and St. Joseph's (7:55). George Washington (8:09) finished fourth.

The second varsity boat consists of rowers Brittanie Reinold, Melissa Soucie, Kathryn Hughes, Natalie Carlone, Caitlin Swallow, Ashley West, Julia Roth, Jessica Chames and Amanda Sibley.

UConn will host its first home race of the season this weekend, March 31 on Coventry Lake at 7:30 a.m. Competing against the Huskies will be Trinity and Marist College.