Gov. Malloy tells UConn students why politics matter

By Cole von Richthofen and AbGarry
On October 7, 2012

• Gov. Dannel P. Malloy came to UConn on Saturday to give a lecture titled “What sCan I Do, and Why Should I Care? A Roadmap to Political Engagement” on Saturday. CORYN WASSIK/The Daily Campus

Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy was the keynote speaker of Saturday's "What Can I Do, and Why Should I Care? A Roadmap to Political Engagement" conference, held in the Student Union Saturday.
Gov. Dan Malloy spoke on the importance of being politically active and what students can do to get involved. He told his story about having politically active parents. The environment he grew up in was one of discussing political issues over dinner., he said.
Malloy said he knew that he was going to be involved in politics, it was his calling and so he started by volunteering for a campaign when he was in college.
Malloy urged young people was to become involved in theircommunities.
"When you do this you start to measure success based on the well being of the community rather than your personal accomplishments and it is truly rewarding," Malloy said.
Another presenter at the conference was Ryan P. Barry, an honors alumnus of both the University of Connecticut and the UConn School of Law, who served in the Connecticut General Assembly for eight years and now a firm partner. In his presentation on "Politics and the Law," Barry established the connections between case law, or law set by precedents and judicial review, and statutory law, or official laws as passed by the state legislature.
In another such workshop, the League of Women Voters of Mansfield assessed campaign literacy in the face of the recent Presidential debate.
Attendee and 1st-semester psychology major Santorini Rivera said that debates are really for "people on the fence [who] don't necessarily know what each person stands for." She also noted that debates force the candidates to go off-script. She said, "You have to come up with some stuff on your own."
Mark Sargent, a 5th-semester Political Science and Economics dual major, mentioned that while the conference included several conservatives on the Minority Panel and was closed by a leading state Republican.
"I am disappointed by the lack of nonpartisanship; [it is a] term not appropriate [for] this conference," he said. Despite this, some representatives of the College Republicans showed interest in greater involvement in future such events.
President of the UConn Democrats and third semester Political Science major, Mary "Molly" Rockett was pleased with the success of the conference, having never planned such an event before. "The workshops were intimate" thanks to the smaller scale. When asked whether the Democrats and their affiliates had plans for a future conference, Rockett said, "if we were to do it again, it would be in two years, to coincide with elections."
The event was sponsored by the College Democrats with support from the Alternative Political Society, Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow, and the UConn Young Americans for Liberty.