Need a new study spot? Look here

By Rahul Darwar
On December 10, 2012

Trying to find an outlet and an open desk at the library during finals week can sometimes been harder than taking actual finals. Even though the library has added new tables and new outlets this past semester, sometimes it is just easier to avoid the crowd at Homer and study somewhere else. 

The Classroom Building (Laurel Hall) has become a popular study location. The classrooms allow for groups to work or study together and the whiteboards are useful when trying to figure out math questions. The Classroom Building is also close to the Student Union, where food is easily and readily available. 

The Music & Dramatic Arts Library is a little known secret on campus; this smaller library is located in the Fine Arts Complex across from Buckley. This quiet library is perfect for people who live in Buckley, Shippee, The Oaks, Mansfield Apartments and even South who don't want to walk all the way to the library. This library is great for people who want a good location to sit down and get some studying done without any distractions. Also, conveniently when you get hungry, which happens a lot during studying, you will only be only a short walk from Storrs Center and all its food options. 

The Pharmacy Library is a smaller library located in the Pharmacy/Biology Building and is open to all students. This library, which is close to North Campus, is great for getting some quick work done without having to walk all the way to the library. 

Study lounges are another option if you don't feel like going outside and are great for working or studying in groups. By staying in your building, it is easy to head up to your room and grab something that you may have forgotten or grab different textbooks as you switch between classes. This means you don't have to lug your laptop and all your textbooks, notebooks, lab manuals, solutions manuals and whatever else you need to study all over campus. 

And finally there is your dorm room. Studying in your room is often the most convenient since you don't have to go anywhere and you don't have to change out of your pajamas. Studying in your room definitely has its advantages but it can be hard to focus and get work done with your bed less than five feet away. However, some of the most common problems to studying in your room is the 15 minute nap becoming the 6 hour nap or the short TV break becoming a three hour Law & Order: SVU marathon. 

At the end of the day, just know that you don't have to camp out at the library when finals come around. There are many other places on campus where it is possible to get studying done and honestly some of them might even be better than the library so find somewhere that works for you and good luck!