Baseball: UConn to play Cincinnati in a three game series

By Scott Carroll

• UConn looks to keep their two game winning steak alive as they take on Cincinnati. The Huskies haven’t faced the Bearcats since 2012 when UConn took two of the three games. TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus

The UConn baseball team will travel to Cincinnati to play the Bearcats this weekend in a three-game series.
The Bearcats come into this weekend with an 18-13 overall record and a 2-7 record in the American Athletic Conference.
The Bearcats and Huskies have not played since 2012, when the Huskies took two out of three games from Cincinnati. UConn won the third game of the series in 13 innings as the Huskies pulled away at the end, winning 6-4.
Cincinnati is coming off consecutive wins against Wright State and Miami (OH), outscoring both opponents 15-11. The Bearcats struggled in the early going as they were swept by the UCF Black Knights and endured a six-game losing streak that saw them lose two games apiece to UMass-Lowell, Virginia Tech and Kentucky.
Cincinnati is lead in both hitting and RBIs by sophomore Ian Hopp, who has has a batting average of .356 while driving in 23 runs. Will Drake and Matt Williams have also batted over .300 on the season as Drake has batted .345 and Williams has batted .339. Williams has also driven in 16 runs on the season.
Ryan Atkinson has been solid for the Bearcats thus far this season, accumulating a 4-1 record in five starts on the year. Bryan Chenoweth boasts the lowest ERA on the team as his ERA stands at 1.75 after eight relief appearances and one start. Connor Walsh has been the Bearcats second most successful pitcher with a 2-5 record and an ERA of 3.35.
The Huskies come into the matchup looking to keep the ball rolling after winning their last two games against Brown and Northeastern.
UConn will also look to improve on their 2-3 conference record.
First pitch in the Huskies and Bearcats in Friday's series' opener is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. in Cincinnati at Marge Schott Stadium.