Baseball: UConn to play Cincinnati in a three game series
UConn looks to keep their two game winning steak alive as they take on Cincinnati. The Huskies haven’t faced the Bearcats since 2012 when UConn took two of the three games. TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus
The UConn baseball team will travel to Cincinnati to play the Bearcats this weekend in a three-game series.
The Bearcats come into this weekend with an 18-13 overall record and a 2-7 record in the American Athletic Conference.
The Bearcats and Huskies have not played since 2012, when the Huskies took two out of three games from Cincinnati. UConn won the third game of the series in 13 innings as the Huskies pulled away at the end, winning 6-4.
Cincinnati is coming off consecutive wins against Wright State and Miami (OH), outscoring both opponents 15-11. The Bearcats struggled in the early going as they were swept by the UCF Black Knights and endured a six-game losing streak that saw them lose two games apiece to UMass-Lowell, Virginia Tech and Kentucky.
Cincinnati is lead in both hitting and RBIs by sophomore Ian Hopp, who has has a batting average of .356 while driving in 23 runs. Will Drake and Matt Williams have also batted over .300 on the season as Drake has batted .345 and Williams has batted .339. Williams has also driven in 16 runs on the season.
Ryan Atkinson has been solid for the Bearcats thus far this season, accumulating a 4-1 record in five starts on the year. Bryan Chenoweth boasts the lowest ERA on the team as his ERA stands at 1.75 after eight relief appearances and one start. Connor Walsh has been the Bearcats second most successful pitcher with a 2-5 record and an ERA of 3.35.
The Huskies come into the matchup looking to keep the ball rolling after winning their last two games against Brown and Northeastern.
UConn will also look to improve on their 2-3 conference record.
First pitch in the Huskies and Bearcats in Friday's series' opener is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. in Cincinnati at Marge Schott Stadium.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
- Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age