'Main Street Homes' to be built early as spring 2015, over 40 homes

By Marissa Piccolo

LeylandAlliance LLC., the developer of Storrs Center, has proposed the construction of a residential neighborhood for the new downtown community. "Main Street Homes" could potentially be underway as early as spring of 2015.
The series of 40 town-homes and single-floor condominium homes would be located off of Wilbur Cross Way, ranging from approximately 1,025 to over 2,000 square feet. "The homes will feature open floor plans with modern construction materials and innovative technologies," according to a press release from Storrs Center and LeylandAlliance LLC. Homes would be built to Storrs Center's Design and Sustainability guidelines, and proposed amenities include a neighborhood clubhouse, pocket parks, ample parking, HardiePlank exterior siding, architectural shingles, nine feet first-floor ceilings, and kitchens with granite countertops and premium cabinetry.
"We are seeing a strong national trend in favor of for-sale housing in great university and town center communities," said Howard Kaufman, managing member of LeylandAlliance LLC. "We believe the location of our new residential neighborhood right at the center of Mansfield, UConn, and Storrs Center is extraordinary and the perfect place to introduce our 'Main Street Homes'."
LeylandAlliance LLC. is a real estate development company that specializes in downtowns and neighborhoods. According to their website, "[Their] neighborhoods foster a sense of community, embrace tradition, and set new standards for innovative construction and environmental responsibility." They hope to form public-private partnerships with stakeholders to achieve their vision.
K "People want to enjoy the energy of a true downtown and the ability to talk to work, restaurants, shopping, and recreational activities," Kaufman said. In addition to its location and amenities, 'Main Street Homes' would give residents the ability to actually own a home close to campus.
The general public is invited to an information session at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 2 at the Nathan Hale Inn. A Storrs Center Founding Resident Program will be introduced to confirm interest in the creation of this neighborhood. Reservations are appreciated, and can be made to info@storrscenter.com or 845-351-2900, extension 400.