CIA continues deception of people and government on torture

By Harry Gable-Newkirk

Recently, the Senate Intelligence Committee discovered that the CIA was disguising brutal interrogation techniques in reports that they had to submit. They also discovered that there were several "black sites" or hidden detainment centers for government detainees. The most blatant example of this deception is when the CIA rephrased torture as being "enhanced interrogation techniques." The CIA simply softened the word of torture, while maintaining the same basic meaning. Some aspects of "enhanced interrogation techniques" were blatantly parallel to waterboarding. The CIA had found a way to induce the effects of waterboarding without committing the actual act itself. One of these techniques was submerging the heads of supposed terrorists in ice cold water, nearly drowning them before release and resuscitation. Even after employing these brutal methods of torture, it was discovered that no incredibly useful intelligence was gained. In fact, all useful intelligence was already gathered from the subjects before the "enhanced interrogation" began. The CIA was damaging individuals who had nothing to offer them without gain.
These possible criminal acts occurring within the US government indicate that we the citizens have yet again been deceived by our government. It has been stated and restated that torture is an unethical technique in gaining intelligence and has been banned by the president himself. President Obama created the Executive Order 13491, banning all forms of torture for detainees of the U.S. government, no matter their crimes. This was satisfying to the public, and the possibility of torture faded from the public eye. We were satisfied and once again put trust in our government. It's truly unfortunate, yet not unbelievable, to see that these words on the page based off our constitution mean so little to those who pretend to defend it.
Here we have before us again: a lie to the people. We were promised by executive order that these methods were stopped. The CIA may not have directly used methods such as waterboarding, but they found their own way to inflict similar pain. Not only did the CIA violate the executive order, they decided to do so in private and attempted to slip through the cracks. It's almost insulting that they didn't even attempt to excise the existence of torture in these reports. The CIA simply used semantics and relied on the stupidity of the Senate Intelligence Agency to shirk responsibility for their actions. Luckily, the Senate Intelligence Committee saw through their guise and unearthed these deceptions. We have at least some members of the government willing to tell us the truth.
It's impossible and overly cynical to label the entire government liars, but it seems there is always some portion of it that aims to deceive us. This tightly links back to the issues with the NSA, when the government caused a massive breach of privacy and trust within its people. They were basically able to see every working factor of our daily lives. There is no way that we can have this kind of reciprocal involvement in the workings of our government. We will never be able to see what they are able to see. Satisfyingly, reforms are still being made and facts are still to this day slowly streaming out. Whether these reforms actually protect us remains to be seen. As we've seen with Executive Order 13491, those above us are still completely capable of violating even the highest of given directions.
It's hard to pinpoint what is around the corner what atrocities and lies will come next, there surely will be more to come. All we can really do is rely on those choice individuals who really do want to expose lies. Perhaps we can find a way to expand these committees and broaden their involvement in our government. We can vouch for increased auditing of the CIA and tangential agencies. There's nothing the average citizen can do to find out these lies, but we can do our hardest to elect and expand the roles of those who can. As of today, we have another lie and a layer of deception being brought forth to the citizens of America.