Campus Construction update: new Fall 2012 buildings

By Katherine Tibedo
On May 3, 2012

In addition to the opening of Oak Hall this coming fall semester, six buildings will have finished renovations, according to Brian Gore, UConn Director of Project and Program Management.
The finished renovations include Floriculture, Beach Hall, Koons Hall, McMahon Dining Hall and Biobehavioral IV.
According to UConn Today, the new wing of Storrs Hall, which houses the School of Nursing, will add 15,800 square feet to the building and include new simulation and practice rooms and a large classroom with up to 75 seats.
The McMahon renovation will add an additional 200 seats to the dining hall, according to the Dining Services website. The renovation will create an open kitchen concept and a market place design that "de-emphasizes the use of an institutional kitchen" and enhance food perception, also according to the Dining Services website. The dining hall will also be internationally themed.
New classroom building Oak Hall will feature high-tech classrooms and become home to the economics, modern and classical languages, linguistics, journalism and political science departments, most of which are currently housed in Arjona and Montieth.
Thus far, no future construction plans have been determined for Arjona and Montieth, said Gore in an email.
According to Gore, there will be a significant number of construction projects starting in the near future. The major new projects include an addition to the Bousfield Psychology Building, renovations to the Young Building, additions and renovations to the Avery Point Student Center, the demolition of Memorial Stadium and the construction of the new basketball development facility.