Students look to internships for job experience

By Loumarie Rodriguez
On May 3, 2012

Staff at UConn's Career Services office makes it their job to help students find their own career paths. Many UConn seniors have capitalized on what Career Services has to offer, landing internships that will hopefully benefit their careers.
At their office, employees of Career Services offer tips and resources on how to better define searches and gain the most experience from an internship. Another advantage that UConn offers is the Career Resource Library, which provides jobs that correspond with students' graduating majors. It also lists directories of industries and companies within a student's field of interest.
Many students do take advantage of the special services, although many find their own routes to internships.
Senior Emilia Gallagher, an allied health major, currently interns for a law firm in Hartford called Bodner Shapiro Law Group, LLC, which she found through craigslist.com. She plans to continue working there in the summer. Her major coincides with the internship because the law firm focuses on malpractice cases as does Gallagher's area of studies.
"I write demand letters, do billing, do administrative work and attend court cases with the woman in charge of the firm," Gallagher said. "I understand the procedures of hospital services and billing for ER's which I help out with."
Senior Stephen Wahrenburg, an economics major, will be interning with Cigna, a health insurance company, an opportunity he found through UConn's career service website. He works in information technology and early career development in his internship. Some areas of focus in his internship include software, business analytics and system analytics.
"I'm excited for the internship but scared because it's going to be hard. There are a lot of smart people there and I need to make sure that I fare up against them," Wahrenburg said.
Wahrenburg hopes to stay with Cigna in the future and believes it will provide good opportunity, money and the perks of working with big business.
According to an article from the Princeton Review, economics was placed in the top ten majors for undergraduates. Wen Xin is a double major in accounting and economics and has already been shadowing jobs in Rhode Island's state government and hopes it will turn into a steady job in the near future.
Senior Minh Phan a pathobiology major will be interning at Massachusetts General Hospital, an interview that he secured through personal connections. His job will require him to compare real-life tumor sizes to computer-estimated sizes.
Phan also hopes to explore his opportunities for careers before deciding whether to go to medical school.
"I'm excited to get started and I have the opportunity to work with a Harvard medical professor," Phan said.