Georgetown Hoyas and Stanford Cardinal come to Storrs to face Huskies

By Matt Stypolkoski
On October 11, 2012

The No. 4 UConn field hockey team will match up against Big East rival Georgetown and No. 14 Stanford this weekend at the Sherman Sports Complex.
The 13-0 Huskies face the Hoyas in what could potentially be a trap game Saturday afternoon, as Georgetown has struggled to a 2-12 start and come to Storrs riding an eight-game losing streak.
Despite the seemingly lopsided matchup and a nationally ranked opponent looming on Sunday, UConn coach Nancy Stevens believes her team will be fully prepared to play the Hoyas.
"We will not overlook Georgetown," Stevens said in an email. "One of our team mantras is 'Respect all, fear none.'  We know Georgetown will give us their best effort and we are prepared to give them our best effort."
The Huskies will look to maintain their perfect Big East record against the Hoyas, as they enter the contest with a 2-0 conference record.
After facing Georgetown, UConn will have to be prepared to make a quick turnaround as the Cardinal come to the Sherman Sports Complex just over 24 hours later.
Stevens said the tight scheduling was put together by design in an effort to better prepare her team for the postseason, as the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament are played on back-to-back days.
Entering the weekend, Stanford is 9-4 on the year and 3-0 in the NorPac Field Hockey Conference.
"Stanford has a lot of talent and is well-coached," Stevens said. "However, we feel we match up really well with them.  All three of their backs throw big aerials, so we have been working on defending that aspect of their game.  We have a lot of respect for their attack penalty corners, so our focus at practice has been limiting penalty corner opportunities and fine-tuning our corner defense."
Stanford is 2-3 against ranked opponents and face a difficult game at No. 1 Syracuse on Friday before making the trip to Connecticut.
Though the Cardinal feature a prolific attack and have scored 39 goals in their 13 games, UConn sports a stout defense that has allowed just 10 goals in 13 games. The defense has been a little bit more porous as of late however, as they have given up five of those goals in the last four games.
Game times are set for noon on Saturday and 1 p.m. on Sunday.